Friday, March 3, 2023

Dedication

Dedication

2 Timothy 2: Take your part in suffering, as a loyal soldier of Christ Jesus. A soldier on active duty wants to please his commanding officer and so does not get mixed up in the affairs of civilian life. An athlete who runs in a race cannot win the prize unless he obeys the rules. The farmer who has done the hard work should have the first share of the harvest. Think about what I am saying, because the Lord will enable you to understand it all.

 

============

 

Leaving the college track team was easy because they wanted me to run at five in the morning and then again at five in the evening! Leaving the company was easy because the environment was not what I wanted it to be! Leaving a volunteer group was easy because they wanted me to do everything! Leaving GOD was just as easy!

 

  • I had become accustomed to quitting and leaving things that were hard.
  • It was easy to quit and leave things if I “blamed” it.
  • I did not want to face hard situations that had no benefit to “me.”

 

Paul gives some really hard words to swallow. “Take your part in suffering” was the advice he gave Timothy. He then gives three examples; a soldier, an athlete and a farmer. He probably used these examples because he was in jail guarded by soldiers who could not be moved or swayed by anything said to them. Athletes followed the rules and farmers did hard work!

 

My Observations

  • Life is hard and GOD does not want me to give up on HIS ways.
  • Life brings many trials and GOD wants me to be prepared to face them with HIM.
  • Life can be unfair, tiring and sometimes disastrous and GOD wants me to remain dedicated to HIM.

 

Let’s face it, sometimes life really, really stinks! I mean, one moment things are going well, the next, things are not going so well. When trials hit, all I want to do is get out of the trial. It becomes hard to see GOD’s goodness in the middle of tribulation. BUT GOD wants me to look at life different.

 

HE wants me to have the mindset that life will definitely be difficult so I should expect it, like a soldier going to war. HE wants me to rain like an athlete and work as hard as a farmer, who seems to never find a moment’s rest. GOD does care and wants me prepared. I am glad HE changes my mind about life.

 

Challenge

  • Why in the world is the writer talking about “suffering?”
  • What are your expectations of GOD?
  • Will you relook at life differently, knowing Satan is your enemy who wants to attack and destroy your relationship with GOD, so you can be strong and hold onto GOD’s ways in the middle of trials?

No comments:

Post a Comment