Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Building a Following


John 19: 12 From then on Pilate sought to release Him, but the Jews cried out, saying, “If you let this Man go, you are not Caesar’s friend. Whoever makes himself a king speaks against Caesar.”

13 When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he brought Jesus out and sat down in the judgment seat in a place that is called The Pavement, but in Hebrew, Gabbatha. 14 Now it was the Preparation Day of the Passover, and about the sixth hour. And he said to the Jews, “Behold your King!”

15 But they cried out, “Away with Him, away with Him! Crucify Him!”

Pilate said to them, “Shall I crucify your King?”

The chief priests answered, “We have no king but Caesar!”

16 Then he delivered Him to them to be crucified. Then they took Jesus and led Him away.

============

Admiring certain leaders, I mimicked the qualities I could understand. I dressed like them, talked like them and understood their concerns. After a while I was named a leader of many by those who I imitated.

  • Some leaders got my attention.
  • Some leaders had the qualities I was looking for so I imitated them.
  • Some leaders carried themselves with true power that was genuine.


Pilate feared he would be put in the middle of a political battle. He feared the statement that JESUS was and is GOD. He tried to turn HIM over to the Jews, but they rejected HIM as their king. They chose to follow a man instead. They dedicated themselves to a human political figure.

  • JESUS wants me to recognize HIM as KING of kings and LORD of lords.
  • JESUS wants me to place HIM higher than any human.
  • JESUS wants me to give HIM all power I am trying to get or hold onto.


Every situation, every solution, every word should fall under GOD. This is easy to say and hard to do. I mean what if I just want “my” way? GOD allows me to get “my” way, but I may not like what I get. “My” way may be conceived in selfish sin. What can I do about this?

GOD enables me to follow HIM by believing that I need a Savior. Admitting I need HIM is the first step. Believing that JESUS died for all my sins and that HE rose from the dead is the next step. Confessing that JESUS is alive and is above everything is the final step. I give my all to my KING, JESUS.

  • Who are you following?
  • Are you desperately trying to build a following?
  • Will you take a moment to follow JESUS and build HIS following today and the rest of your life?


No comments:

Post a Comment