Thursday, January 9, 2020

Owning Protection


John 18: 25 Now Simon Peter stood and warmed himself. Therefore they said to him, “You are not also one of His disciples, are you?”

He denied it and said, “I am not!”

26 One of the servants of the high priest, a relative of him whose ear Peter cut off, said, “Did I not see you in the garden with Him?” 27 Peter then denied again; and immediately a rooster crowed.

============

“They did it” was the automated response to blaming my siblings. I mean who wanted to get in trouble for throwing pillows and breaking stuff on accident. I sang like a bird as I told on them. I got in trouble anyway.

What lengths have I gone to in order to protect myself?
What lies have I told in order to protect myself from facing consequence?
What stories have I made up in my mind in order to convince myself, I do not deserve punishment?

Peter did what most people would have done. He lied about his relationship with JESUS to save himself. He slipped into the courtyard with the help of the bold disciple. When he was recognized, he denied any relationship with JESUS. This was predicted by JESUS.

When I am in public, JESUS wants me to share my relationship with HIM.
When I am faced with consequence, JESUS wants me to remember HE is with me.
When I am persecuted by those who are supposed to be on my side, JESUS wants me to know I am blessed.

“Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for MY sake” are the words that should remain when I think I should protect myself. Instead of getting out of trouble, I should face the situation with truth.

GOD wants me to join HIM in truth and accept all responsibilities for my actions. HE also wants me to face ridicule from those who have slandered me to get their way. HE has a greater reward for those who stand with HIM during times of persecution. I am grateful I can face my problems with GOD.

Are you trying to protect yourself by blaming someone else?
Have you made up stories so you can protect your image?
Will you seek GOD’s kingdom in spite of the possibility of being ridiculed, insulted or persecuted?

No comments:

Post a Comment