Monday, January 6, 2020

Well Connected


John 18: 12 Then the detachment of troops and the captain and the officers of the Jews arrested Jesus and bound Him. 13 And they led Him away to Annas first, for he was the father-in-law of Caiaphas who was high priest that year. 14 Now it was Caiaphas who advised the Jews that it was expedient that one man should die for the people.

============

Advised on speaking to a specific person, I asked “Why should I?” “That person is well connected” was their reply. Confused about the statement, I asked “What does well connected mean?” They started naming all of the people this person knew. I still did not know what they meant by listing names, so I stopped asking questions.

  • I had no idea at the time, people could become rich because of who they knew.
  • I did not know, at the time, that people could be put in a position of power based on who they knew.
  • I was unaware, at the time, that people could decide my fate, or at least they thought they could.


Caiaphas was the highest church leader at the time. He was threatened by the actions of JESUS, so he orchestrated HIS arrest. He used his connections to get government officials to bring troops in to arrest JESUS. He then sent JESUS to be interrogated by his father-in-law. He thought his plan was fool proof. BUT GOD saw through it.

  • GOD sees when I am trying to control the situation.
  • GOD wants me to let go of situations so HE can work.
  • GOD desires to be in control and the more I hold on, the less HE will shine.


Little did Caiaphas know, his own declaration that “one man die for the people” is exactly what GOD wanted. He was trying to make an example out of JESUS so no one would challenge any church leader’s authority.

BUT GOD had the authority. JESUS allowed HIMSELF to be captured while maintaining HIS power as GOD. Caiaphas was never in control. GOD wants me to surrender control. This surrender only comes from the heart. I am glad HE is in control.

  • Are you trying to use your connections to gain control over your life?
  • Do you think you can control others?
  • Will you release control and allow GOD to work out the situation today?


No comments:

Post a Comment