Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Joining the mob


John 18: 39 “But you have a custom that I should release someone to you at the Passover. Do you therefore want me to release to you the King of the Jews?”

40 Then they all cried again, saying, “Not this Man, but Barabbas!” Now Barabbas was a robber.

============

Hearing the cheering made me want to cheer. It was my first college football game and I could feel the excitement in the stadium. Years later I was in a group who complained, a lot. After a while I felt myself wanting to do the same. My verbiage had turned negative. I could feel the intensity in the building.
 
  • I used to join in based on what was going on around me.
  • I used to get emotionally involved even when I did not have all the facts.
  • I used to absorb the energy of the crowd, even when the crowd was going in the wrong direction.


Pilate asked who he should release, JESUS or a known felon named Barabbas. The crowd did not care about prophecy concerning the Messiah coming to save the world. Nor did they care that JESUS was innocent. They began chanting “Barabbas” with the same excitement as being at a game. I wonder if I would have joined in.

  • JESUS wants me to have a solid relationship with HIM so I cannot be swayed by misinformation.
  • JESUS wants me to seek HIM daily so I cannot be fooled by deception.
  • JESUS wants me to hear HIS voice through all the world’s chanting.


The world can be quite noisy. Cause after cause points out the misgivings of others daily. One cause pulls and the other pushes. BUT GOD wants me to seek HIM, not causes. HE wants me to listen to what JESUS did and explain to others HE is my Savior.

HE wants me to see beyond those who seek power, even in churches. GOD shows who sincerely seeks HIM and who wants HIS SON as their savior. HE sends me to them or them to me. GOD gives me purpose to reach those whom only I can reach.

  • Are you following the crowd?
  • Do you have less belief in GOD and more belief in the news?
  • Will you give your life over to GOD and seek HIM daily so you can hear HIS small still voice?

No comments:

Post a Comment