Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Adversity Cheer


Acts 5: 40 And they agreed with him, and when they had called for the apostles and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go. 41 So they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for His name. 42 And daily in the temple, and in every house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ.

============

“You” the chooser said as they pointed at me. I could not believe it. I was chosen early to participate by the star. The game required a lot of running and catching people and I was scrawny. “Go” someone shouted to start the festivities.

I caught someone immediately but this person was pretty strong and flung me to the asphalt. I hit my head and started bleeding, a little. I got up and my teammates cheered. Wanting to cry, I grimaced and then smiled. What a delightful game.

  • Some pain doesn’t feel as painful when I am on the right side.
  • Some pain feels worth it when I am on the winning side.
  • Some pain seems like it will not go away, but bearable because I’m on the side that has the glory.


The church leaders had the apostles beaten thinking this would discourage them. But something very different happened. The apostles cheered, rejoicing they were associated with CHRIST and worthy of suffering because of HIM. They knew everything JESUS said would come true.

  • GOD wants me to know HE loves me dearly.
  • GOD wants me to understand that adversity comes from the enemy, who tries to make me blame GOD.
  • GOD wants me to use wisdom and face adversity with cheer, knowing JESUS has already won.


Being beaten feels horrible. In fact, all pain is not welcome. BUT GOD shows me a different way to look at some pain. When the pain is caused because I am standing firm for JESUS, it feels more like honor. It almost feels like GOD is cheering when I get back up and not blame HIM but rejoice that I went through a little of what JESUS went through.

GOD wants my comfort. HE sent the COMFORTER to live inside of me. HE also knows there is a real and active spiritual battle that happens daily. JESUS has already won the war. I am grateful to be in the battles that are HIS.

  • Are you going through something?
  • Do you feel like you have been beat up because of your belief in JESUS?
  • It may be hard, but will you rejoice, knowing GOD sees you and hears you and is cheering because you got back up and stood firm for HIM?

No comments:

Post a Comment