Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Urges


Acts:5 17 Then the high priest rose up, and all those who were with him (which is the sect of the Sadducees), and they were filled with indignation, 18 and laid their hands on the apostles and put them in the common prison. 19 But at night an angel of the Lord opened the prison doors and brought them out, and said, 20 “Go, stand in the temple and speak to the people all the words of this life.”

21 And when they heard that, they entered the temple early in the morning and taught. But the high priest and those with him came and called the council together, with all the elders of the children of Israel, and sent to the prison to have them brought.

============

“Don’t go in that room while we are gone” was the statement given to me. I hadn’t thought about it before, but now that I had a restriction, I only wanted to go in “that” room. I thought of excuses for being in the room, but the door was closed most of the time.

One day, the door was left open. I put one foot in the room to test it out. Nothing happened. I went in boldly and became comfortable, too comfortable. They caught me in the room and I could not remember the “excuses” I made up.

  • Sometimes I get urges that were prompted by someone telling me what I should not do.
  • Sometimes I get urges to do something I am not supposed to do.
  • Sometimes I get urges from something I was exposed to.


Fed up, the high priest and other church leaders had the apostles arrested. BUT GOD sent angels to release them, telling them to speak the “words of this life.” Early in the morning, they could not do anything else but teach.

  • GOD wants me to seek HIM so my urges point to serving HIM.
  • GOD wants me to listen to HIM so I desire to do what HE says.
  • GOD wants me to accept HIS calling so I want what HE wants.


Urges can be great when pointed to GOD. I mean if I got the urge to speak to someone in an encouraging way, expressing GOD’s love, then HE would be extremely pleased. Unfortunately some of my urges come from places of temptation. Any follow through on those urges are against GOD.

Obedience to GOD makes me place my urges under HIM so I can exercise self-control and bear the fruit of the Spirit. I am grateful GOD leads me not into temptation but delivers me from evil.

  • What urges are you following?
  • Are you asking GOD “Should I be doing this” or acting on your own urges?
  • Will you stop fighting GOD by not exercising self-control and present HIS gift of love through kindness and peace today?

No comments:

Post a Comment