Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Dependence


Dependence
Acts 7: 38 “This is he who was in the congregation in the wilderness with the Angel who spoke to him on Mount Sinai, and with our fathers, the one who received the living oracles to give to us, 39 whom our fathers would not obey, but rejected. And in their hearts they turned back to Egypt, 40 saying to Aaron, ‘Make us gods to go before us; as for this Moses who brought us out of the land of Egypt, we do not know what has become of him.’ 41 And they made a calf in those days, offered sacrifices to the idol, and rejoiced in the works of their own hands. 42 Then God turned and gave them up to worship the host of heaven, as it is written in the book of the Prophets:

‘Did you offer Me slaughtered animals and sacrifices during forty years in the wilderness,
O house of Israel?
43 You also took up the tabernacle of Moloch,

And the star of your god Remphan,
Images which you made to worship;
And I will carry you away beyond Babylon.’

============

Peering into the grass I saw a dollar, so I gleefully picked it up. “This is my lucky day!” I said. The next day nothing, but days later I found five dollars. Weeks later I found a necklace, combs, and a stick pin. “This is a lucky lawn” I said to myself. Though out of the way, I made a point to pass by daily.

  • I used to believe in luck.
  • I used to believe in coincidences.
  • I used to believe in random circumstances supplied by the “universe.”


Stephen continues to explain what happened to Israel. Though protected, when Moses went to speak with GOD, they forced Aaron to make an idol to worship, like the good old slavery days back in Egypt. They were free yet dependent on a powerless hunk of metal. They were punished for doing so.

  • GOD wants me to depend on HIS power alone.
  • GOD wants me to depend on HIS word to guide me.
  • GOD wants me to depend on HIS love, faithfulness and plan for me.


Dependence on GOD does not mean I hold onto a portion of something while HE holds the rest. It means I cannot do something and HE takes care of one hundred percent. Very similar to being in a car with GOD, HE drives without me holding the steering wheel.

GOD wants credit for everything, especially salvation. HIS love is to be recognized and power awed. It is GOD who is my deliverer. I put my trust in HIM alone.

  • What are you depending on?
  • Do you think you can extend your life one second without GOD?
  • Will you give your trust to GOD little by little so one day you will have full confidence in HIS power to bring you out of any circumstance?

No comments:

Post a Comment