Monday, October 26, 2020

 

Clear Conscience

Acts 23: Paul looked straight at the Sanhedrin and said, “My brothers, I have fulfilled my duty to God in all good conscience to this day.” At this the high priest Ananias ordered those standing near Paul to strike him on the mouth. Then Paul said to him, “God will strike you, you whitewashed wall! You sit there to judge me according to the law, yet you yourself violate the law by commanding that I be struck!”

 

Those who were standing near Paul said, “How dare you insult God’s high priest!”

 

Paul replied, “Brothers, I did not realize that he was the high priest; for it is written: ‘Do not speak evil about the ruler of your people.

 

============

 

After telling the lie, immediately I asked myself… “What do I have to gain from this lie?” I mean, I had gotten in the habit of lying to cover myself. I was insecure about everything and I felt a lie was easier to live with. I even lied to myself.

 

There were lies I told myself to hide from the truth of my sins.

There were lies I told others to hide the fact that I was an imposter when it came to “being good.”

There were lies I told by withholding my sin and looking at everyone else’s.

 

Paul spoke directly to the church leaders and said his actions were done “in all good conscience.” This meant Paul was as open about his sin as he could be. His motive was purely based on speaking about JESUS being GOD.

 

With this, the high priest had Paul to be punched in the mouth. The high priest did not act like one of GOD’s servants, so Paul acknowledged what he had done based on the scripture.

 

GOD wants me to learn about HIM so I can live with a clear conscience.

GOD wants me to understand what true freedom means.

GOD wants me to seek HIS kingdom so my conscience can remain clear.

 

Sin throws me off. I mean, when I sin, my conscience feels guilty and I look for GOD’s punishment. When I do that, it means I do not fully understand HIS grace. HE forgave me once and for all when HE said “It is finished.”  

 

Yes, there will be consequences to my sin, but knowing JESUS forgave all my sins clears my conscience. HE sent the HOLY SPIRIT to live inside me, guiding me away from the stronghold of sin. I may not be perfect, but I am taking a step in GOD’s direction each day.

 

What are you hiding?

Are you looking at someone else’s sins and not your own?

Will you admit your sins to others so your conscience can be clear to speak about JESUS today?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment