Monday, January 4, 2021

Trying to Lead You

 

Trying to Lead You

Romans 2: Do you, my friend, pass judgment on others? You have no excuse at all, whoever you are. For when you judge others and then do the same things which they do, you condemn yourself. We know that God is right when he judges the people who do such things as these. But you, my friend, do those very things for which you pass judgment on others! Do you think you will escape God's judgment? Or perhaps you despise his great kindness, tolerance, and patience. Surely you know that God is kind, because he is trying to lead you to repent. But you have a hard and stubborn heart, and so you are making your own punishment even greater on the Day when God's anger and righteous judgments will be revealed.

 

============

 

“I hate sneaky, deceptive people!” I said to myself in reference to my boss. He had a habit of snooping around my desk to get new ideas he could steal. I thought of a great plan. I left a terrible idea I heard from someone else on my desk.

 

I would then “hide” around the corner and peek on occasion to see if he took the bait. I wasn’t being sneaky because I was trying to catch him, right? Wrong.

 

  • There were times when I justified my judgment of people and did the same things as them.
  • There were times when I did worse things than others and needed grace when I was caught.
  • There were times when I blamed other people, never once looking at myself.

 

Paul had just written about those who ignore GOD, substituting evil for what GOD says is right. But then he turns to those who call themselves “righteous” by following GOD’s rules. He asks a simple question. “Do you, my friend, pass judgment on others?” He then says, passing judgment on others brings condemnation on yourself.

 

  • GOD wants me to turn away from the sins “I” commit.
  • GOD wants me to recognize I deserve the judgment.
  • GOD wants me to notice HE is trying to lead me to repent and stop doing the things I blame other people of doing.

 

Judging others is not my job. I mean, GOD is the only one who has a heaven and a hell to place those HE chooses. Yes, GOD does want me and other people to stand up for those being harmed. HE also wants me to protect people from those who want to do evil for their pleasure.

 

BUT GOD wants me to examine myself each day to see if I am judging others and acting the same way. HE has given me a generous helping of kindness, tolerance and patience. HE wants me to combat wrong with these wonderful weapons. I am glad GOD cares enough to try to lead me back to HIS ways.

 

  • Are you mad at someone?
  • Do you think of how wrong “that” person is?
  • Do you talk about how wrong “that” person is with your friends or other family members?
  • Will you examine your own heart to see if there is hatred, bitterness, anger or resentment in it so you can ask GOD to remove it and replace it with the same love HE has for you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment