Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Trying Too Hard

 

Trying Too Hard

Romans 3: 27 What, then, can we boast about? Nothing! And what is the reason for this? Is it that we obey the Law? No, but that we believe. 28 For we conclude that a person is put right with God only through faith, and not by doing what the Law commands. 29 Or is God the God of the Jews only? Is he not the God of the Gentiles also? Of course he is. 30 God is one, and he will put the Jews right with himself on the basis of their faith, and will put the Gentiles right through their faith. 31 Does this mean that by this faith we do away with the Law? No, not at all; instead, we uphold the Law.

 

============

 

When they announced I got the position, I could not believe it. Many disappointments had happened before, so I decided to keep doing my old job. I showed up at a meeting and the attendees were puzzled but cordial. I was doing two jobs at once, my old job and the new. I had to be sure.

 

There were times when I was insecure so I held onto things I should have let go of.

There were times when I did not believe so I worked a little harder to “see” results.

There were times when I was given something and had been hurt once too often so I accepted the gift with caution.

 

Paul concludes his discussion about how we are “put right” with GOD. He refutes those who try hard to follow the letter of the Law but fail to see the heart of the Law. He states that every human, Jew or Gentile, has the same requirement, namely to believe.

 

GOD wants me to have faith that HE took care of all my sins.

GOD wants me to have faith versus trying harder to please HIM.

GOD wants me to have faith in JESUS so HE will give me the HOLY SPIRIT who will guide me to joyfully follow the Law.

 

Doing right does not save me eternally. Only belief in JESUS does that. But there are times when things go wrong that scare me straight. I then try hard to “please” GOD by quitting certain sins temporarily. GOD sees through the ploy and forgives me for trying to manipulate HIM.

 

GOD wants my whole heart, not just the scared one. HE wants me to praise HIM when things are going well and when they are not. HE desires that I choose to follow HIM versus being coerced. “MY yoke is easy and MY burden is light” HE says to me. I am grateful GOD has taken care of everything so I can rest in HIM.

 

Are you scared?

Are you trying hard to make GOD do something and missing out on praising HIM for what HE is doing?

Will you praise GOD for what HE has done and is doing in your life and turn away from your complaining spirit today?

No comments:

Post a Comment