Thursday, January 28, 2021

Exercise Worth Doing

 Exercise Worth Doing

Romans 5: Now that we have been put right with God through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. He has brought us by faith into this experience of God's grace, in which we now live. And so we boast of the hope we have of sharing God's glory! We also boast of our troubles, because we know that trouble produces endurance, endurance brings God's approval, and his approval creates hope. This hope does not disappoint us, for God has poured out his love into our hearts by means of the Holy Spirit, who is God's gift to us.

 

============

 

Malnourishment set in because I did not like most food. In gym class I could not do most of the exercises because I was too weak. I tried climbing the rope, but did not make it far. “Why are we climbing ropes anyway?” I thought to myself. This exercise was not worth doing.

 

  • There were some circumstances I avoided because I felt it was not worth it.
  • There were some situations I did not want to face because I was too embarrassed or proud.
  • There were some troubles I faced and did not want many people to know about it.

 

Paul switches from explaining the Law of Moses to talking about how JESUS has brought us by faith into the experience of GOD’s grace. He emphasizes that since we have peace with GOD we can excitedly share hope to many people. We can also see our trouble differently. Trouble is our new exercise that brings on GOD’s approval when we excitedly share it with the same hope.

 

  • GOD knows I will face difficult times.
  • GOD knows the way out of difficulty is through the prayers of many.
  • GOD wants me to share my trouble with those who will pray with me and for me.

 

Sharing trouble is not fun, especially if there are a lot of them for a long, long, long time. BUT GOD knows this exercise of sharing brings on endurance. HE needs people who can endure long enough to bring others to HIM. The world is busy trying to emphasize trouble and keep people focused on “their” cure.

 

GOD wants the focus. HE knows that when I see my trouble as exercise, HE approves my faith as righteousness and fills me with the HOLY SPIRIT. This is exciting enough to share with the world. Yes, I face many troubles, but I am glad GOD approves of me, even if I am afraid, ashamed or worried.

 

  • Are you in trouble and afraid to share your troubles with a group you feel will judge you?
  • Are you tired of facing, yet another, trouble?
  • Will you take a fresh look at your trouble to see if GOD is giving you an exercise in an area of your life HE wants to strengthen so you can joyously share HIM no matter what storm comes?

No comments:

Post a Comment