Friday, January 29, 2021

Grace Terms

 

Grace Terms

Romans 5: You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

 

Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! 10 For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! 11 Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

 

============

 

Realizing I was wrong I had to go to the person and ask for forgiveness. This did not feel good at all. When the person rejected my request, I felt even worse. I mean, I did what the manual said and humbled myself to ask for forgiveness. I wanted an immediate reaction that I did not get.

 

  • There have been times when I asked for grace but wanted it on “my” terms.
  • There have been times when I wanted grace but had an idea of what it should look like.
  • There have been times when I was in the wrong, but I did not want to admit it.

 

Paul continues his explanation of JESUS. Paul had just mentioned that trouble brings on perseverance which grows character and enables hope. That hope is in JESUS. Paul also explains that JESUS provided grace to those who do not deserve it. HE died for HIS enemies. Who are HIS enemies? All of us.

 

  • GOD saw every sin I would commit and while HE disliked all the sin, HE died for me anyway.
  • GOD was extremely angry at anyone who would side with those who would kill HIS SON, and I was on that side, yet JESUS died for me anyway.
  • GOD knew I would never choose HIM and I sometimes think “I don’t need grace” or tell HIM “this is what grace should look like”; but HE overlooked my broken thinking.

 

GOD’s grace is pure and is not up for negotiation. The only term HE has is for all humans to realize the need for forgiveness and to believe JESUS is the judge who forgives those who believe in HIM.

 

Asking for grace requires me to humble myself and not expect to be raised up to the level I once was before I messed up. GOD’s grace means I did not get what I deserved, and I am thankful HE loved me so much that HE died for me in the middle of being HIS enemy. I am grateful of HIS grace and accept HIS terms for my life.

 

  • Are you wrong, but anticipating how grace should look?
  • Do you think it is on the other person to show forgiveness “your way?”
  • Will you stop placing terms and conditions on GOD so you can see how much grace HE has poured out to you and how much restraint HE has for not pouring out punishment on you daily?

No comments:

Post a Comment