Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Need for Seed

Need for Seed

2 Corinthians 9: Remember that the person who plants few seeds will have a small crop; the one who plants many seeds will have a large crop. You should each give, then, as you have decided, not with regret or out of a sense of duty; for God loves the one who gives gladly. And God is able to give you more than you need, so that you will always have all you need for yourselves and more than enough for every good cause. As the scripture says,

 

“He gives generously to the needy;
    his kindness lasts forever.”

 

============

 

Both of my grandmothers were not the best cooks, but were always willing to give me food in their house where I borrowed a bed for the time I was there. They weren’t rich, in fact, quite the opposite. But they gave GOD to me in generous doses.

 

  • I complained about their food.
  • I complained about their bug laced homes and horrible water and discomfort.
  • I complained about their constant mentions of JESUS.

 

Paul speaks about a different currency, namely “seed.” This is GOD’s currency and HE is the benefactor who supplies HIS seed. Paul suggests that everyone who takes GOD’s currency and spreads it around generously will grow a large crop.

 

My Observations

  • There is a huge need for GOD’s seed and HE wants me to provide it.
  • Everyone may not have money but GOD gives them and me, seeds to plant in other’s hearts.
  • Seeds and bread seem to be highly important to GOD.

 

When I am greedy, I only see “giving” as a transfer of “my” money to an organization. I mean, I look at my bank account as a measure of how “generous” I can be. I then hear messages about “faith” being based on money amounts given. BUT GOD sees currency differently.

 

HE sends comforters to crying people, joyful to the hurt, peaceful to the angry, loving to the lonely, patient to the impetuous, good to the bad, gentle to the rough, self-controlled to the wild, faithful to those who give up easily and lastly, kind to the unkind. GOD sees and appreciates HIS seeds planted; and grows a rich harvest. I am glad HE provides the right seeds at the right time.

 

Challenge

  • What do you think the writer means about a “small” and “large” crop?
  • If you had no money, what can you give generously to someone?
  • Will you use your GOD given gifts to spread the Good News about JESUS in a way that only you can deliver it so HIS kingdom will grow a large, rich harvest?

No comments:

Post a Comment