Tuesday, January 4, 2022

No Obligation

No Obligation

2 Corinthians 9: However, if the people from Macedonia should come with me and find out that you are not ready, how ashamed we would be—not to speak of your shame—for feeling so sure of you! So I thought it was necessary to urge these believers to go to you ahead of me and get ready in advance the gift you promised to make. Then it will be ready when I arrive, and it will show that you give because you want to, not because you have to.

 

============

 

“Aw, do I have to?” were my words of discontent to an uncomfortable request that would fill a need but require me to stop doing my leisure activities for the moment. “Yes, you have to” was the reply.

 

  • I was mad the rest of the time after meeting the need.
  • I did the task but not with my heart.
  • I could not enjoy my leisure after I finished the task.

 

Paul continues to speak about the excitement he had over those who volunteered their time and treasures to help other people. Some people had pledged their help, and now it was time to act on that pledge. Some were sent ahead to make sure everything was ready and those who pledged were willing versus obligated.

 

My Observations

  • GOD wants me to serve HIM willingly.
  • GOD wants me to give to others willingly.
  • GOD wants me to pray for others, cry with others and give HIS word to others willingly.

 

Free will is confusing. I mean, on one hand I would love to be able to do what I want to do. On the other hand, I want GOD to simply show me exactly what HE wants me to do so I will not make a mistake. GOD sees things differently.

 

HE created humans with free will to choose HIM and HIS SON, who is the only way to salvation. People can reject HIM and pick and choose which portions of HIS revealed word they want to. JESUS loves HIS creation so much that HE allowed us to kill HIM. HE then provides an opportunity to make it up by having a no obligation relationship with HIM. I am glad HE loves me and I am willing to serve.

 

Challenge

  • What is the writer urging the believers to do?
  • Have you ever promised something, but circumstances prevented you from fulfilling your obligation?
  • If GOD sent people to you to hear about HIS SON, would you be ready to speak joyfully even in the middle of your current circumstances?
  • Will you look at your relationship with GOD differently and remove all obligations and simply love HIM today?

No comments:

Post a Comment