Thursday, January 20, 2022

Overlooked Credentials

Overlooked Credentials

2 Corinthians 11: 22 Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they Abraham's descendants? So am I. 23 Are they Christ's servants? I sound like a madman—but I am a better servant than they are! I have worked much harder, I have been in prison more times, I have been whipped much more, and I have been near death more often. 24 Five times I was given the thirty-nine lashes by the Jews; 25 three times I was whipped by the Romans; and once I was stoned. I have been in three shipwrecks, and once I spent twenty-four hours in the water. 26 In my many travels I have been in danger from floods and from robbers, in danger from my own people and from Gentiles; there have been dangers in the cities, dangers in the wilds, dangers on the high seas, and dangers from false friends. 27 There has been work and toil; often I have gone without sleep; I have been hungry and thirsty; I have often been without enough food, shelter, or clothing. 28 And not to mention other things, every day I am under the pressure of my concern for all the churches. 29 When someone is weak, then I feel weak too; when someone is led into sin, I am filled with distress.

 

============

 

Choosing people for the team became political. One person did not seem right for the job but was liked by the higher ups. Another person had done the hard work, but had a few arguments with the higher ups. I had to make a choice.

 

  • It seemed like a good idea to go with the popular route.
  • It seemed good for “my” career if I went with what people liked versus what they needed.
  • It seemed “safe” to choose the route chosen by the higher ups because in reality I was afraid.

 

Paul was livid that the people had fallen away from the teachings of JESUS so easily. They listened to smooth talkers and probably chose actions that were fruitless. He lists what he went through to let everyone know it was not easy to follow CHRIST, but it was the highest priority.

 

My Observations

  • GOD wants me to stand firm in the middle of difficulties.
  • GOD wants me to be confident that HE will protect me especially from those who overtly and covertly try to harm me.
  • GOD wants me to understand that life will not be easy and I am to use its difficulties as a testimony to JESUS.

 

The wide path that looks easy but is sometimes dangerous. I mean, JESUS took the narrowest path one could take. HE followed every rule HE made and never sinned. HE then released me and everyone else who believes in HIM, from needing to be perfect.

 

JESUS doesn’t expect me to achieve, nor does he expect me to be perfect. That is a human flaw. HE simply wants me to recognize HIS servants look and act different than the world’s servants. HE wants me to keep praise on my lips as I go through difficulties for HIM. I am glad HE opens my eyes to HIS servants who seek HIS face daily.

 

Challenge

  • Why is the writer so passionate and what is he passionate about?
  • Would you be upset if you worked extremely hard only to be passed over by someone who was not qualified, but liked?
  • What credentials do you think GOD wants from HIS servants?
  • Will you be brave enough to point your life to JESUS in spite of what naysayers speak about you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment