Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Dare to be Foolish

Dare to be Foolish

2 Corinthians 11: 16 I repeat: no one should think that I am a fool. But if you do, at least accept me as a fool, just so I will have a little to boast of. 17 Of course what I am saying now is not what the Lord would have me say; in this matter of boasting I am really talking like a fool. 18 But since there are so many who boast for merely human reasons, I will do the same. 19 You yourselves are so wise, and so you gladly tolerate fools! 20 You tolerate anyone who orders you around or takes advantage of you or traps you or looks down on you or slaps you in the face. 21 I am ashamed to admit that we were too timid to do those things!

 

But if anyone dares to boast about something—I am talking like a fool—I will be just as daring.

 

============

 

Going with the crowd felt good. I finally fit in, even to the point where people expected me to act a certain way. I was finally considered a leader. But something happened. Someone challenged me to give up my partying ways and focus my life on CHRIST. This seemed foolish. Give up being popular?! Yeah, right!

 

  • I felt there was safety in numbers.
  • I wanted to be seen and noticed in the big ocean of people.
  • I wanted “my” way to be followed.

 

Paul seems to get sarcastic with his words. He points out that people so easily followed “fools” who used the right words at the right time. Then he says he will be daring at what the crowd says is foolish.

 

My Observations

  • Surrendering my life to JESUS may seem foolish to many, but not to HIM.
  • Following HIS word may seem foolish to the world, but not to HIM.
  • Seeking CHRIST every day may seem foolish to the greedy, the power hungry and the controllers, but not to HIM.

 

Daring to follow CHRIST means being looked at by the world as foolish. I mean, JESUS died trying to tell HIS creation HE loves each and ever one. This message of surrender could not be heard so they killed HIM, looking for a political giant to follow.

 

JESUS was raised from the dead and those who believe in this resurrection are labeled as foolish. “Why would GOD die?” The world does not understand HIS love and it seems foolish to the power hungry for HIM to give up everything to save HIS own creation. I gladly accept HIS foolish gift and will be just as daring to speak about HIM.

 

Challenge

  • What does the writer say about a form of wisdom?
  • Is it tempting to follow the rich and powerful?
  • Do you think you would be different if you were rich and powerful?
  • Will you surrender your life to CHRIST and accept the weapons that are considered weak by the world, such as the fruit of the Spirit today?

No comments:

Post a Comment