Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Seeking Approval

Seeking Approval

2 Corinthians 10: 15 So we do not boast about the work that others have done beyond the limits God set for us. Instead, we hope that your faith may grow and that we may be able to do a much greater work among you, always within the limits that God has set. 16 Then we can preach the Good News in other countries beyond you and shall not have to boast about work already done in someone else's field.

 

17 But as the scripture says, “Whoever wants to boast must boast about what the Lord has done.” 18 For it is when the Lord thinks well of us that we are really approved, and not when we think well of ourselves.

 

============

 

“This is really messed up” I thought to myself. I turned in my work and explained that I really did not understand the assignment very well. To my surprise I did better on the assignment than I thought. It turned out that other people did not understand the assignment either.

 

  • I did not like to be evaluated.
  • I did not like being told to correct my work.
  • I did not like seeking approval on things I could not understand or control.

 

Paul concludes explaining his personal appeal to the people to follow JESUS. He tells everyone to “boast about what the LORD has done” to avoid pointing at their own accomplishments. He explains that the LORD’s approval is the only true approval.

 

My Observations

  • Some of the things I think I do for the LORD I really do for the approval of humans.
  • Some of the things I think I do for humans were really done for the LORD.
  • Only GOD knows what I have done in sincerity for HIM and HE will reward me based on HIS measure.

 

Is donating a huge sum of money greater than giving a thirsty person a cup of water? I don’t know. BUT GOD says “And if you give even a cup of cold water to one of the least of MY followers, you will surely be rewarded.” Motive and sincerity will always be questioned by another human. BUT GOD is the only one who has the rewards.

 

HE sees when I fight my sin and surrender “my” way to do something HE wants me to do to grow HIS kingdom. Boasting about what JESUS did for me seems to be the only way of gaining the approval GOD, I gladly give up pointing to me so others’ “faith may grow” in the LORD.

 

Challenge

  • What approval do you think the writer was seeking in order to keep preaching the Good News in other countries?
  • Have you ever felt like you were seeking approval from humans who have already wrongfully judged you?
  • Will you grow your faith in GOD and know HE has already approved you to boast about JESUS today?

No comments:

Post a Comment