Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Boasting Limits

Boasting Limits

2 Corinthians 10: 12 Of course we would not dare classify ourselves or compare ourselves with those who rate themselves so highly. How stupid they are! They make up their own standards to measure themselves by, and they judge themselves by their own standards! 13 As for us, however, our boasting will not go beyond certain limits; it will stay within the limits of the work which God has set for us, and this includes our work among you. 14 And since you are within those limits, we were not going beyond them when we came to you, bringing the Good News about Christ.

 

============

 

After getting the title, I felt pretty good. “I” had accomplished something “great” and other people told me they admired “my” achievements. I was given a large responsibility within the company, awards and a new office. “I” made it!

 

  • The more I had the poorer in humility I became.
  • The bigger the title the prouder I became within myself without knowing it.
  • The higher I climbed the more I relied on my title for self-esteem.

 

Paul implies a warning about comparing oneself to another, especially those who rate themselves highly. He also points to a healthier means of boasting, namely to speak about how great GOD has loved us by giving us JESUS.

 

My Observations

  • I should look at myself less and point more to GOD.
  • I must thank GOD for the places HE brought me and the things HE has provided.
  • I have to choose to limit myself instead of always testing the boundaries of GOD’s love.

 

In the days of pushing the limits, it seems strange to limit myself to anything old and stodgy. I mean, wasn’t the Bible written in times that were less complicated? Yes, but amazingly it applies even more today than when it was written.

 

GOD’s word, namely the Bible, provides a tiny dose of what HE chose to reveal to humans. It is inerrant in every way. Each day it can be read and applied for decision making, correction and growth. The comparison to JESUS knocks out any pride I may have, so I surrender my life to HIM. I am glad HE gave me limits to live my life abundantly.

 

Challenge

  • What do you notice about the seemingly harsh words of the writer regarding ”self” standards?
  • How do you feel about limits?
  • Will you choose to walk within GOD’s limits, staying away from the boundaries so you can live an abundant life speaking about JESUS whenever HE sends you to people HE desires?

No comments:

Post a Comment