Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Do Something

Do Something

James 2: 18 But someone will say, “One person has faith, another has actions.” My answer is, “Show me how anyone can have faith without actions. I will show you my faith by my actions.” 19 Do you believe that there is only one God? Good! The demons also believe—and tremble with fear. 20 You fool! Do you want to be shown that faith without actions is useless? 21 How was our ancestor Abraham put right with God? It was through his actions, when he offered his son Isaac on the altar. 22 Can't you see? His faith and his actions worked together; his faith was made perfect through his actions. 23 And the scripture came true that said, “Abraham believed God, and because of his faith God accepted him as righteous.” And so Abraham was called God's friend. 24 You see, then, that it is by our actions that we are put right with God, and not by our faith alone.

 

============

 

Just moving into this particular house was exciting. I put a water filter on the refrigerator and went to work. When I got home. I could hear splashing in the basement. The water filter I put on was faulty and leaked all day. The basement floor was now wet.

 

  • I believed something needed to be done.
  • I knew GOD could do anything and I believed HE could.
  • I had to get a mop to clean up the water after changing the water filter.

 

James challenges believers in JESUS to do something. He goes into detail about believing in GOD. He says “demons also believe”, which is to say, evil beings believe in GOD but don’t “do” what HE says. He then gives an example of Abraham showing his faith by his actions.

 

My Observations:

  • Belief in JESUS should make me want to serve people just because of my relationship with HIM.
  • Faith in JESUS should make me desire to do what HE wants me to do.
  • Actions for JESUS show my faith and belief in HIM.

 

Believing in something leads me to “do something.” I mean, when I believe in a cause or a person or a group, I go to meetings, give money and wear the garments that show how much I “believe.” GOD deserves the same honor.

 

GOD wants me to speak about HIM, serve others for HIM and live inside of HIM, meaning doing what HE wants me to do. HE not only sees my intentions, but sees my actions. I can say “I will call you” with no intention to call or I can just call you. I gladly put GOD above other priorities so I can do HIS will.

 

Challenge

  • What is the difference between faith (belief) and actions according to the writer?
  • Can you believe in something but not do the thing you believe in?
  • Will you put your faith to action and ask GOD what HE wants you to “do” today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment