Thursday, October 19, 2023

Alive and Well

Alive and Well

James 2: 25 It was the same with the prostitute Rahab. She was put right with God through her actions, by welcoming the Israelite spies and helping them to escape by a different road.

 

26 So then, as the body without the spirit is dead, also faith without actions is dead.

 

============

 

Feeling shamed from the weekend of drinking and carousing, I did not want to be around church people. I felt they would be judgmental and try to tell me more about what I was doing than the hidden things they were doing.

 

  • I did not want to be a hypocrite.
  • I was ashamed of my sins and simply wanted peace.
  • I tried to stay away from “perfect” people because I felt there was no help for me.

 

James used a shocking example of faith. He mentioned the prostitute Rahab was put right with GOD through her actions. He did not focus on her sin, rather on her faith in risking everything to hide the spies of Israel to help them escape. He concludes his warning by stating faith requires actions.

 

My Observations:

  • Sin may make me want to stay away from GOD, BUT JESUS forgave me of all of my sins.
  • Shame may try to stop me from doing what GOD wants me to do, BUT THE HOLY SPIRIT brings me comfort that I am redeemed.
  • Doubt may place uncertainty in my path, BUT THE FATHER gives me a firm foundation that keeps me sure that HE loves me.

 

Let’s face it, sin can be a barrier to doing what GOD wants me to do. I mean, when I get caught up in sin, I feel ashamed and start making up excuses for not serving GOD’s people. Blame arises and false statements about GOD’s love pop in my mind. BUT GOD brings me comfort.

 

In the middle of my sin, CHRIST died for me. Not after I stopped sinning, in the “middle.” JESUS was watching me and you sin and died for us anyway. HE didn’t wait for us to try to clean ourselves up or to become perfect. HE saw my imperfections and said “I love you.” HE then said “Go” I am glad GOD is the ultimate forgiver.

 

Challenge

  • Why do you think the writer used the label “prostitute” instead of simply mentioning her name?
  • Have you ever went through periods of trying not to sin and thought more highly of yourself?
  • Have you ever wanted to run away from GOD because of a certain sin?
  • Will you seek GOD’s kingdom, knowing HE loves you no matter what today?

No comments:

Post a Comment