Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Removing Anonymity

Removing Anonymity

James 2: 14 My friends, what good is it for one of you to say that you have faith if your actions do not prove it? Can that faith save you? 15 Suppose there are brothers or sisters who need clothes and don't have enough to eat. 16 What good is there in your saying to them, “God bless you! Keep warm and eat well!”—if you don't give them the necessities of life? 17 So it is with faith: if it is alone and includes no actions, then it is dead.

 

============

 

After getting an increase in pay, giving became easier. I felt good about writing a check each week. But then the pastor asked something strange. “Who will go with me to serve people in the streets?”

 

  • I thought I was “doing” enough by giving “my” cash.
  • I thought I was “doing” enough by “going” to church.
  • I thought I was “doing” enough by “attending” Bible study, deacon’s meetings and trustee meetings.

 

James challenges the norm of only  attending church and quoting scriptures. His challenge was probably aimed to get people out of their comfort zone and to “do” the things they “talked” about. This would take time, effort and face to face encounters with those in need.

 

My Observations:

  • Serving people who are in need takes face to face encounters.
  • Serving a group of people, without knowing their names, needs or problems, makes me think I am helping them vicariously through someone else’s efforts.
  • GOD loves when I serve people face to face.

 

Overlooking the poor can be quite easy. I mean, when I give to a church and pass by a person holding up a sign, I begin to justify not serving the person holding up the sign, asking for help. I then justify not knowing or heling my neighbors on my block or in my apartment building. I also justify not seeking the lost on my own. BUT GOD wants me to be different.

 

HE knows my mind can become dull by sitting in another sermon or another Bible study or by watching another motivational video. Going out and actually serving people takes the anonymity away and opens my eyes to a world of need I would not have otherwise known. I am glad GOD wants me to get out of my comfort zone to serve those in need.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer challenge “faith?”
  • Have you ever felt nervous about serving the poor?
  • Have you served the poor directly outside of your church?
  • Will you consider getting out of your comfort zone and serving the poor today so your faith will be made complete?

No comments:

Post a Comment