Friday, October 20, 2023

Thoughts to Words

Thoughts to Words

James 3: My friends, not many of you should become teachers. As you know, we teachers will be judged with greater strictness than others. All of us often make mistakes. But if a person never makes a mistake in what he says, he is perfect and is also able to control his whole being. We put a bit into the mouth of a horse to make it obey us, and we are able to make it go where we want. Or think of a ship: big as it is and driven by such strong winds, it can be steered by a very small rudder, and it goes wherever the pilot wants it to go. So it is with the tongue: small as it is, it can boast about great things.

 

============

 

Saying something funny had become a skill of mine. I could say something to make people chuckle, but this day I couldn’t. I tried again and received no laughter. I realized I was trying to make people laugh when I should have been listening to why they were crying.

 

  • I could not control what I was saying.
  • I spoke first before thinking about what I was saying.
  • I used my words to say whatever pleased me, rather than what was needed to be said.

 

James addressed mindfulness of what people say. He is not speaking about being politically correct, rather providing a warning to those who desire to be a teacher for JESUS. This important declaration requires control of what is being said. He then provides a continuum that ranges from total imperfection to someone who perfectly controls themselves in what they say.

 

My Observations:

  • My thoughts may not be suitable to share, so GOD gives me self-control to keep my thoughts to myself.
  • Words are extremely powerful, so GOD wants me to use them with wisdom.
  • What I say can lift people up or tear them down, so GOD wants me to choose encouragement when teaching.

 

Being mindful of what I say is important. I mean, when I am hurt, I think of awful things to say and do. But when I am healed, GOD provides wonderful words for me to say to encourage people and to assist in his or her growth.

 

Being able to control my words begins with my thoughts. If I am in a very negative environment, I may pick up negative words that could eventually penetrate my heart. After a while, I find myself speaking negatively. BUT GOD can enter my heart and place HIS love inside. This way, I can speak to ensure others are encouraged. I am glad GOD is willing to guide my words.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer warn those who desire to be teachers of JESUS?
  • Have you ever said discouraging words in an argument or in a group of gossipers?
  • Will you consider examining your thoughts to see if they are negatively opposing GOD’s kingdom so HE can give you words of encouragement to help others today?

No comments:

Post a Comment