Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Un-trapped

Un-trapped

James 1: 12 Happy are those who remain faithful under trials, because when they succeed in passing such a test, they will receive as their reward the life which God has promised to those who love him. 13 If we are tempted by such trials, we must not say, “This temptation comes from God.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, and he himself tempts no one. 14 But we are tempted when we are drawn away and trapped by our own evil desires. 15 Then our evil desires conceive and give birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

 

============

 

Having a mountain of homework made me a bit nervous. But seeing the naked girls had me distracted the rest of the day. The boys locker room was connected to the girls locker room by a double wooden door. Some smart-aleck fashioned a hole between the doors from which we could see. Taking turns, we ogled and commented.

 

  • I had work to do, but I could not do it because I was distracted.
  • Instead of thinking of solutions for the work I was supposed to be doing I dreamed of ways to beat they guys and get in front of the line.
  • My mind was trapped and I got caught by a teacher because I did not notice him standing behind me.

 

James gets rid of the blame game humans play with GOD. He mentions that during difficult times, humans have a tendency towards sin. He tried his best to paint a picture of how acting on our own temptation can cause us to justify our own sin which leaves us trapped.

 

My Observations:

  • Temptation comes from the enemy to take me off the path of solutions for GOD.
  • Remaining focused to what GOD wants me to do helps me stay out of the traps of my own desires.
  • GOD does not tempt me BUT HE does guide me back to HIM if and when I fall.

 

Temptations can be tough. I mean, food, gambling, hoarding, substance and sex are all sticky temptations humans can fall into. When stressful times arise, the temptation can rear its head as a temporary solution. Unfortunately this only brings on more pain and problems. BUT GOD has an answer.

 

JESUS provides a different path. HE not only saved me from the consequences of sin, which is death; he also gave me things to think on to pursue HIS Kingdom. When my mind is focused on what HE wants me to do, I can reduce the pressure of the trial and focus on GOD’s voice. I am glad GOD forgives me when I fall and is willing to pick me up and place me on HIS path.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer explain temptation?
  • Have you ever been under pressure and done something regretful?
  • Will you take the pressure off yourself by knowing JESUS forgives you if you fall to temptation, so you can hear HIS love enough to choose HIS path versus sin next time?

No comments:

Post a Comment