Friday, October 27, 2023

What About Them?

What About Them?

James 4: 11 Do not criticize one another, my friends. If you criticize or judge another Christian, you criticize and judge the Law. If you judge the Law, then you are no longer one who obeys the Law, but one who judges it. 12 God is the only lawgiver and judge. He alone can save and destroy. Who do you think you are, to judge someone else?

 

============

 

Speeding along in a friend’s car, it felt great to be behind the wheel of something that could really go fast! We were racing each other on the road when suddenly we cam upon several cops who were waiting for us. We were all pulled over. When one of the cops came to my car, I said in my defense, “What about them?” referring to the other speeders who were not pulled over. The reply, “But I caught you.”

 

  • I was trying to use comparison as my defense.
  • I thought I could use “judging someone else” to defend my breaking the law.
  • I also thought I could do what I wanted to do.

 

James addressed judging other Christians. He specifically spoke to this group, probably due to them gathering together in small groups after being scattered by those who persecuted them. They may have begun to judge one another.

 

My Observations:

  • GOD wants me to look at myself instead of pointing out what other people are doing.
  • GOD wants me to realize I have flaws that I need repaired by HIM.
  • GOD wants me to let go of trying to change people who are not willing to change themselves.

 

Being critical of other people can be a defense mechanism for my own shortcomings. I mean, when I look at someone else and talk about him or her negatively, I am taking the lens off of me. BUT GOD sees my shortcomings clearly and wants me to see them too.

 

HE wants me to back off of looking at someone else and to ask HIM for forgiveness for my clear and blatant sins. HE is willing to forgive me and wants me to grow up to do the same. I am glad HE is the ultimate forgiver.

 

Challenge

  • Why is the writer’s warning important?
  • Have you ever been critical of someone and been guilty yourself?
  • Will you take some time away from being critical and spend it asking GOD to continue to grow you in areas HE would like to grow you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment