Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Levels of Respect

Levels of Respect

James 2: My friends, as believers in our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, you must never treat people in different ways according to their outward appearance. Suppose a rich man wearing a gold ring and fine clothes comes to your meeting, and a poor man in ragged clothes also comes. If you show more respect to the well-dressed man and say to him, “Have this best seat here,” but say to the poor man, “Stand over there, or sit here on the floor by my feet,” then you are guilty of creating distinctions among yourselves and of making judgments based on evil motives.

 

============

 

Upset that I ran into so many homeless people, I decided to do something about it. Instead of giving money, I offered to buy a meal. I proceeded to “tell” the person the Gospel, thinking I had done my job for the day.

 

  • I assumed the person was going to use money for drugs and alcohol.
  • I assumed the person needed to hear a message about CHRIST, when in reality this being could have been an angel that I was not aware of.
  • I assumed “I” had a solution when I may have been contributing to the problem, namely lack of respect.

 

James attempts to address favoritism based on the appearance of wealth. He may have experienced the lack of favoritism based on his appearance. He knew that looking at the outward appearance of people could cause people to make assumptions that are untrue.

 

My Observations:

  • GOD looks at the heart of humans and determines who is truly “good.”
  • GOD sees how I treat people and knows if I treat others differently based on outward appearance.
  • GOD loves when I treat everyone with respect and honor.

 

Treating one set of people different than the next leads to battles. I mean, when I treat people differently because of his or her appearance, I make wrong assumptions about who they are and even worse, I ignore what GOD sees.

 

GOD loves people I may not like. HE sees the inside and has a strong desire for all to be saved. HE loves the poor and does not like when rich people are treated better than them. HE provides opportunities for me to treat the poor the same as I treat the rich, with HIS utmost respect. I am glad GOD is not prejudice and loves me without wavering.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer use rich and poor as the example?
  • Have you ever treated someone better based than others because of his or her title, appearance or financial status?
  • Will you treat everyone with the same utmost respect that GOD wants you to so many can hear HIS message of love today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment