Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Humble Friendship

 

Humble Friendship

James 4: Where do all the fights and quarrels among you come from? They come from your desires for pleasure, which are constantly fighting within you. You want things, but you cannot have them, so you are ready to kill; you strongly desire things, but you cannot get them, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have what you want because you do not ask God for it. And when you ask, you do not receive it, because your motives are bad; you ask for things to use for your own pleasures. Unfaithful people! Don't you know that to be the world's friend means to be God's enemy? If you want to be the world's friend, you make yourself God's enemy. Don't think that there is no truth in the scripture that says, “The spirit that God placed in us is filled with fierce desires.”[a] But the grace that God gives is even stronger. As the scripture says, “God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”

 

============

 

Frustrated because it seemed like “everyone” else was getting paid but me, left me complaining about what I did not have. I had just started going back to church and I heard the preacher say “name it and claim it.” In other words say what I want and I will get it. But when I didn’t get it, I got mad.

 

  • I was mad at GOD because I did not get what I wanted.
  • I thought GOD was supposed to give me what I wanted.
  • I thought that I “deserved” better than what I already had.

 

James addressed selfishness by illustrating two friendship types. One friendship is with the world, the other is with GOD. He exposes the root of quarrels and fights, namely friendship with the world. He points out the fact that wrong motive causes a lack in receiving from GOD.

 

My Observations:

  • The more I become friends with the world, the more I fight over its pleasures.
  • GOD resists my pride, but loves when I humble myself before HIM.
  • GOD’s desires are fierce and cannot be quenched by the selfishness of obtaining the world.

 

“What is it to gain the whole world and lose your soul?” is a deep, convicting question. I mean, insatiable desires that cannot be quenched or controlled causes me to think of GOD in the wrong way. I may think “I” deserve better when GOD has already provided so much for me.

 

HE loves when I can say “Thank YOU for what YOU have given to me, I have more than enough.” This keeps my insatiable appetite down to a minimum and my hatred for other people who may be “in the way of getting mine” diminishes. I am glad GOD is willing to give me grace when I humble myself.

 

Challenge

  • What does the writer say about fights and quarrels?
  • Have you ever wanted something and did not get it, so you cried or got mad at another person?
  • Do you have a problem with wanting more and more to the point that GOD is no longer the answer?
  • Will you ask GOD to open your eyes to HIS true grace so HE can guide you to the things HE wants you to have today?

No comments:

Post a Comment