Thursday, October 5, 2023

Gifted

Gifted

James 1: 16 Do not be deceived, my dear friends! 17 Every good gift and every perfect present comes from heaven; it comes down from God, the Creator of the heavenly lights, who does not change or cause darkness by turning. 18 By his own will he brought us into being through the word of truth, so that we should have first place among all his creatures.

 

============

 

“You are gifted” someone said to me. I had not heard that before in reference to me and I was puzzled at the statement. Too scared to ask questions I simply said “Thanks.” Later I realized the compliment was in reference to me cutting my parents grass.

 

  • I was less enthused by the compliment.
  • I did not want to be “known” by my grass cutting skills.
  • I thought “gifts” were something like super strength or speed or being a brainiac.

 

James gives a stern warning to all believers in JESUS as the Savior. He warns everyone that any good gift comes from GOD. This warning was probably put in place so humans would not take credit for skills acquitted.

 

My Observations:

  • I need to praise GOD for every gift, talent and skill I possesses.
  • I should be thankful for being exposed to new learning and attribute it to GOD.
  • I should not overlook the smallest gift GOD has given me, because it is important to HIM.

 

Being thankful for even the smallest gift is important. I mean, if all I have to offer someone that day is a smile, I should offer it in healthy portions. Afterwards, I can be thankful that my “gift” of smiling may have brought joy to someone that day.

 

GOD uses all gifts and presents HE gives to us for HIS purpose. The things we think are small are huge to HIM. HE wants me to recognize and thank HIM for the gifts HE has given me. Remember the grass cutting? Years later I was able to bring unity to a block I moved to, simply because people had questions about my grass. I am grateful for the gifts GOD has given me!

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer give such a powerful warning?
  • Have you ever acquired a skill or talent and thought it was you who did it?
  • Are you overlooking a gift that is important to GOD, but less important to you?
  • Will you take a moment to list your gifts, skills and talents, no matter how small, and thank GOD for each so you can use them for HIS purpose today?

No comments:

Post a Comment