Friday, October 6, 2023

Purpose Speeds

Purpose Speeds

James 1: 19 Remember this, my dear friends! Everyone must be quick to listen, but slow to speak and slow to become angry. 20 Human anger does not achieve God's righteous purpose. 21 So get rid of every filthy habit and all wicked conduct. Submit to God and accept the word that he plants in your hearts, which is able to save you.

 

============

 

Hearing some words I did not like, I immediately came back with a retort. This set off an argument that made me angry. I then brought up unrelated problems as examples.  

 

  • I was not able to hear what was said because I was thinking of what “I” was going to say.
  • I was angry so my statements were not fully rational.
  • I was impatient and could not wait on GOD to speak to me in this situation.

 

James begins addressing an issue that remains today, namely impatience. He guides everyone to do something different. He uses speeds to illustrate a better way to communicate so GOD’s purpose can be achieved.

 

My Observations:

  • GOD is slow to anger with me and wants me to do the same.
  • Listening to other people takes practice to get beyond hurtful words.
  • Cursing people out ruins GOD’s purpose and so do snide remarks.

 

Words are powerful. I mean, they can grow or crush people. Unfortunately, I have sometimes chosen to crush people, thinking he or she will understand the “error of their ways” and change. So far, this has NEVER worked. GOD has a different approach.

 

HE wants me to listen first, understand that poisonous darts come from children and grab hold of my tongue to use GOD’s words versus my own. Trying to hurt someone on purpose is foolish and childish. I did not realize how irrational I had been until I reviewed my words and compared them to what JESUS said and did to the masses. I am glad HE shows me love and compassion.

 

Challenge

  • How and why does the writer use speeds?
  • Have you ever gotten angry with someone just because he or she walked into the room?
  • Do you get angry quickly with more than one person?
  • Will you seek GOD’s peace and patience so you can be slow to speak and slow to get angry today and so you can be used for GOD’s purpose?

No comments:

Post a Comment