Monday, October 23, 2023

Either One or the Other

Either One or the Other

James 3: Just think how large a forest can be set on fire by a tiny flame! And the tongue is like a fire. It is a world of wrong, occupying its place in our bodies and spreading evil through our whole being. It sets on fire the entire course of our existence with the fire that comes to it from hell itself. We humans are able to tame and have tamed all other creatures—wild animals and birds, reptiles and fish. But no one has ever been able to tame the tongue. It is evil and uncontrollable, full of deadly poison. We use it to give thanks to our Lord and Father and also to curse other people, who are created in the likeness of God. 10 Words of thanksgiving and cursing pour out from the same mouth. My friends, this should not happen! 11 No spring of water pours out sweet water and bitter water from the same opening. 12 A fig tree, my friends, cannot bear olives; a grapevine cannot bear figs, nor can a salty spring produce sweet water.

 

============

 

Laughter was my attraction as I approached the crowd. Jokes about a particular teacher made us giggle. They teasingly added my name with the association of this teacher. I quickly disassociated myself from the teacher in front of everyone. Little did I know, the teacher was coming down the stairs and heard my words.

 

  • I was trying to be a good in front of the teacher and side with the mean crowd.
  • I was trying to side with both sides.
  • I was trying to fit in all over the place.

 

James addressed double-mindedness in a different way. He talked about the “tongue” being tiny, yet very powerful. The words spoken can be full of hate or love.  He then explains how words affect who we are.

 

My Observations:

  • My words need to be tamed so I can speak about JESUS without sounding hypocritical.
  • My words need to turn into actions so they should not be filled with hate or slander.
  • My words need to be gentle so I can be consistent in my actions.

 

Poisonous words are dangers to speak. I mean, joining in with the crowd may seem like a good idea, but when it includes talking about someone in a negative way, I become susceptible to adding poison to my own heart without knowing it. This poison seems innocent, because “everyone else” is doing it. BUT GOD wants better.

 

HE desires that I tame my tongue so it is not wild and full of venom. HE sees my thoughts and gives me a choice. Either choose poison or “sweet water.” In other words, choose GOD or choose the world. I am glad GOD can help me with my words so my heart can be healed.

 

Challenge

  • What comparisons does the writer use?
  • Have you ever said something that seemed like an innocent comment about someone, but was a negative joke?
  • Will you ask GOD to help tame your tongue so you can present GOD to others in a loving, peaceful way today?

No comments:

Post a Comment