Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Clarified Relationship

Clarified Relationship

1 John 3: 19 This, then, is how we will know that we belong to the truth; this is how we will be confident in God's presence. 20 If our conscience condemns us, we know that God is greater than our conscience and that he knows everything. 21 And so, my dear friends, if our conscience does not condemn us, we have courage in God's presence. 22 We receive from him whatever we ask, because we obey his commands and do what pleases him. 23 What he commands is that we believe in his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as Christ commanded us. 24 Those who obey God's commands live in union with God and God lives in union with them. And because of the Spirit that God has given us we know that God lives in union with us.

 

============

 

“What do YOU want from me?! I cried out as things seemed to be falling apart. Just beginning my career and just returning to the LORD, I expected smooth sailing for the rest of my life. But when trouble hit, I questioned my relationship with GOD and wondered if this was the right choice.

 

  • I expected GOD to serve me.
  • I wanted a problem free life and expected GOD to deliver it.
  • At the first sign of trouble, I was ready to “leave” GOD or throw a tantrum.

 

John attempted to address insecurity regarding believers relationship with GOD. There was a lot of confusion because the church leaders of the day had freshly murdered the Messiah. John may have attempted to address how people were feeling towards GOD and wanted them to have a solid relationship with HIM.

 

My Observations:

  • GOD has a simple desire, that all humans be saved.
  • GOD wants us to have heaven on earth, so HE commands that we love one another.
  • GOD knew I could not keep the Law given to Moses, so HE provided the easiest most rewarding way to have a relationship with HIM.

 

GOD clearly answered the question, “What do YOU want from me?” I mean, HE has a creation with free will to choose HIM or not. HE would prefer all of us to choose HIM and HIS loving ways. Unfortunately, the world has a lot to offer that counters our belief in HIM. Lust for money, fame and various physical pleasures make GOD seem weak and forgetful. BUT GOD says different.

 

JESUS volunteered HIS very life so you and I could live eternally. HE didn’t stop there. HE knew we have to live in a world that opposes HIS love, so HE commanded that we love one another, simply to receive a slice of heaven on earth. I am glad that by believing in JESUS and loving others, I can have confidence in my relationship with GOD.

 

Challenge

  • Why do you think the writer mentions “GOD is greater than our conscience?”
  • Have you ever felt that GOD has left you or that it is not worth following GOD or even believing in JESUS?
  • Will you align to GOD’s desires by believing in JESUS and loving others so you can be in union with GOD and have courage to ask for whatever you need today?

No comments:

Post a Comment