Thursday, March 14, 2024

Who to Listen To

Who to Listen To

1 John 2: 26 I am writing this to you about those who are trying to deceive you. 27 But as for you, Christ has poured out his Spirit on you. As long as his Spirit remains in you, you do not need anyone to teach you. For his Spirit teaches you about everything, and what he teaches is true, not false. Obey the Spirit's teaching, then, and remain in union with Christ.

 

============

 

A thug snatched my glasses off and pushed me. Felling angry, my face immediately went to a frown. Things were going fast. People on the side wanted to see a fight so they shouted “What are you going to do about it?” to me. Some were laughing, others looked on with anger. We bumped shoulders and dared one another to strike the first blow. The crowd gathered around us. A teacher broke up the crowd and separated us.

 

  • I was angry and was listening to the voice of rage inside me.
  • I got more angry by listening to people who could care less about me, but wanted me to fight.
  • I was insecure and felt there was no other way out but to fight, because that is what the crowd expected.

 

John explains another reason for writing this letter. He may have been made aware of deceptive people who slipped into the group of believers of JESUS. These false teachers spoke against CHRIST and stirred up trouble with every word spoken. He provides security by pointing the believers to who they should listen to.

 

My Observations:

  • There is a voice in my head that sometimes aligns with GOD and sometimes it does not.
  • When I listen to the voice in my head that does not align with GOD’s word, I get myself in trouble.
  • People can deceive me because of his or her desire to get their own way, BUT the HOLY SPIRIT only speaks truth, so HE is who I should listen to.

 

Humans want to be GOD, and I am human. I mean, I want to be in control with my life and have things go “my” way. When something uncomfortable comes up, I want to be in control of making the discomfort go away, even if it means fighting, arguing or expressing rage! BUT GOD has another way.

 

JESUS sent the COMFORTER to live inside me. The HOLY SPIRIT is there to constantly be in touch with me, guiding me with what to say or do. This means I need to stay in touch with HIM and discern when the voice in my head is following what HE is saying. This requires reading GOD’s word and asking myself “Am I doing what it says?”  I am glad GOD is willing to guide me.

 

Challenge

  • Does the writer imply that you can be out of union with CHRIST?
  • Have you ever said or done some things that are contrary to what is in the Bible?
  • Will you believe that the Bible is GOD’s inerrant Word that you can place all of your decisions through so you can be guided by the HOLY SPIRIT and remain in union with CHRIST today?

No comments:

Post a Comment