Tuesday, March 5, 2024

In the Light

In the Light

1 John 2: If we say that we are in the light, yet hate others, we are in the darkness to this very hour. 10 If we love others, we live in the light, and so there is nothing in us that will cause someone else to sin. 11 But if we hate others, we are in the darkness; we walk in it and do not know where we are going, because the darkness has made us blind.

 

============

 

Walking down the dorm hallway, a guy stuck his head out and yelled out a racial slur directed solely at me. This caused me to react, however I was scrawny. I needed help. I found a my 300 pound friend to “help” me with this situation. We pounded on the room door until they opened it.

 

  • I had rage in my heart.
  • I had retaliation in my heart.
  • I wanted to fight to show people, you can’t do this to me or anyone else!

 

John does a masterful job at addressing hatred. He has been with JESUS and watched HIM love every race, age and gender. He saw love at its purest. He gives a reminder to self-examine in order to determine if there is hatred in wounded hearts.

 

My Observations:

  • GOD loves people that I don’t like.
  • GOD wants me to desire that all humans, even people I don’t like, go to heaven.
  • GOD sees any hatred I may harbor in my heart, even if someone has cause me pain through his or her hatred.

 

Hatred brings on more hatred. I mean, when someone has performed an act of overt or passive hatred, I store it in my mind and plan my retaliation. This has never, ever worked! GOD wants me to “chose” a different way.

 

JESUS created humans. They wanted an earthly king who sounded and acted like them. When they found someone who was generous, kind and broke, they could not believe HE was the Messiah that would save the entire world, so they killed HIM out of hatred. HE was raised from the dead out of love. I am glad JESUS is my example and reminder that hatred is a choice. I choose love.

 

Challenge

  • What mindset is the writer trying to address?
  • Have you ever been hurt by a person and wanted to get back at their entire race, age or gender?
  • Will you examine your motives and see if there is even the smallest kernel of masked hatred so you can ask GOD to remove it and fill your heart with HIS love today?

 

Prayer

Dear LORD, our world is filled with hatred for one another today. Please help this reader self-examine any hatred he or she may harbor towards even one person so love can enter the heart and YOUR forgiveness can enter. amen

No comments:

Post a Comment