Monday, March 25, 2024

Show It

 

Show It

1 John 3: 13 So do not be surprised, my friends, if the people of the world hate you. 14 We know that we have left death and come over into life; we know it because we love others. Those who do not love are still under the power of death. 15 Those who hate others are murderers, and you know that murderers do not have eternal life in them. 16 This is how we know what love is: Christ gave his life for us. We too, then, ought to give our lives for others! 17 If we are rich and see others in need, yet close our hearts against them, how can we claim that we love God? 18 My children, our love should not be just words and talk; it must be true love, which shows itself in action.

 

============

 

“You are a brainiac!” was the insult hurled at me. The words could be a compliment, but they were said as the reason I was about to get beat up. “What did I do?” was my only defense. This question only made the thug madder. His reply “3:15!” meaning I was going to get beat up after school.

 

  • I hated bullies.
  • I hated those who laughed with the bullies and seemingly sided with them.
  • I hoped something terrible would happen to the bullies!

 

John attempted to address hatred. But he did it in a different way. He explained that believers would be hated by the world so they should not be surprised. He then gives some great advice. Instead of returning evil for evil, show love.

 

My Observations:

  • JESUS was hated by the world, even though HE created them.
  • JESUS allowed HIMSELF to be murdered so HE could be raised from the dead and become the forgiver of all sins.
  • HIS act of love should make me want to show love to those who are kind and those who hate me.

 

It is not easy showing love to those who insult, slander or persecute. I mean, the world seems to get more and more coldhearted to those in need as if he or she were the problem. And if the person in need speaks about CHRIST, then more hate labels are placed on the believer. BUT GOD has a remedy for persecution.

 

HE knew that showing the love of CHRIST would cause some people to mislabel HIS followers. HE said “Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” This statement says that just because you and I show love, we will be persecuted by the world, but GOD will bless those who show love. I am glad GOD sees.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer say “do not be surprised?”
  • Have you ever done something innocent and received anger, frustration and repercussion?
  • Will you continue to show GOD’s love, expecting the world to respond in a hateful way, so you will not be surprised, and so your actions will speak louder than your words today?

No comments:

Post a Comment