Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Motive Foundation

Motive Foundation

1 John 2: 12 I write to you, my children, because your sins are forgiven for the sake of Christ. 13 I write to you, fathers, because you know him who has existed from the beginning. I write to you, young people, because you have defeated the Evil One.
 
14 I write to you, my children, because you know the Father. I write to you, fathers, because you know him who has existed from the beginning. I write to you, young people, because you are strong; the word of God lives in you, and you have defeated the Evil One.

 

============

 

“Why did you do that?” was the question posed to me when I did something “bad.” “I don’t know” was my childish reply, hoping the answer would suffice. That answer never worked.

 

  • I did not know my motive was being questioned.
  • I was too insecure to own up to the fact that I simply wanted to do the “bad” thing.
  • After a while, I planned for my motives to be questioned by making sure I hid the “bad” things I was doing a little better.

 

John gently tells everyone why he wrote the letter. He was not trying to create authors of letters, rather he attempted to lift everyone up by providing a foundation to remain encouraged.

 

My Observations:

  • Our sins are forgiven because of JESUS.
  • It is an honor to know the one who existed from the beginning.
  • Those who follow JESUS are strong and the Word of GOD lives in us and we have defeated the Evil one.

 

“Why am I doing this?” is a question I have to ask myself regularly. I mean, only I know if my motive is steeped in insecure untruths, mixed in with the desire to get “my” way and only “my” way. BUT GOD sees the heart.

 

HE know when my motives are impure and when they are at their best. By believing in JESUS, my motives can be cleansed to align with GOD. Everything I do needs to be filtered through the question “LORD is this what YOU want me to do?” I am glad GOD is willing to guide my motives to serve HIM wholeheartedly.

 

Challenge

  • Why do you think the writer repeats himself?
  • What words of encouragement do you trip over in this passage?
  • Will you accept the foundation of encouragement by giving GOD your motives and allow HIM to guide you to HIS way of doing things today?

No comments:

Post a Comment