Monday, March 11, 2024

Able to Hear

Able to Hear

1 John 2: 20 But you have had the Holy Spirit poured out on you by Christ, and so all of you know the truth. 21 I write you, then, not because you do not know the truth; instead, it is because you do know it, and you also know that no lie ever comes from the truth.

 

============

 

“You are going to have fun” were the words I got excited over. Fun, at this point was amusement parks and games. But the fun described by this group was getting drunk, having sex and missing many classes.

 

  • Something inside me said “You shouldn’t go down this path” but I would not listen.
  • Something inside me said “There is another way” but I wanted to go the way “everyone else” went.
  • Something inside me said “What is being told to you is a lie” but I didn’t believe the warning.

 

John turns from speaking about those who follow the “Enemy of CHRIST” to those who truly follow HIM. He gives his reason for writing to this group, implying that it is because they could “hear the real truth.”  He may have also addressed uncertainty because the believers were being persecuted.

 

My Observations:

  • Today’s relative truth will get me in trouble, BUT GOD’s truth has always been a foundation I can count on.
  • Today’s strong belief in something outside of JESUS will make me fall, BUT JESUS is the Truth I can believe in without fail.
  • Today’s focus on self can cause me to not even want to listen to GOD, BUT THE HOLY SPIRIT opens the ears to my heart so I can hear.

 

Ability to hear GOD begins with wanting to hear HIM and knowing I need HIM. I mean, when I do not want to change or want to get my own way, I quickly listen to people who say what “I” want to hear. When I find myself in trouble, I may stay there or seek “true” help from GOD.

 

Humans think they have the answer, BUT JESUS provided the truth, because HE is the answer. HE sent the HOLY SPIRIT to those who believe in HIM and they can hear from GOD and adjust their lives. I am glad GOD is so generous and is willing to continue to pour out HIS SPIRIT on you and me.

 

Challenge

  • How does the writer address uncertainty?
  • Have you ever done something wrong that you knew you should not be doing?
  • If you have sought after relative truth, will you seek the real truth by asking JESUS to come into your life and to pour out the HOLY SPIRIT on you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment