Mark 7: 17 When He had entered a house away from the crowd, His disciples asked Him concerning the parable. So He said to them, “Are you thus without understanding also? Do you not perceive that whatever enters a man from outside cannot defile him, because it does not enter his heart but his stomach, and is eliminated, thus purifying all foods?” 20 And He said, “What comes out of a man, that defiles a man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within and defile a man.”
Hearing some of the neighborhood kids use explicit language intrigued me. There were a few who would get all the laughs and I desired that kind of spotlight. My first attempts at using foul language flopped, but soon I got better. I eventually use this new found talent as pickup lines, venting rage and putting others down.
- There were times I acted out.
- There were times that I could not hold my tongue.
- There were times that my true desires came out of my mouth.
JESUS tells HIS disciples that the heart is more important than ritual practices of eating. Many people who were concerned about following the Law were not as concerned about the spirit of the Law. JESUS points out that it is what comes out of the heart that can make someone dirty.
- GOD wants me to ask HIM for a clean heart.
- GOD wants me to align my desires to HIS on a daily basis.
- GOD wants me to nourish my heart as often as I nourish my stomach.
“Garbage in, garbage out” is what people have said and it is true regarding my heart. When I have a steady diet of foulness my heart will wring out its gross contents. GOD is great at replacing my heart. No matter what I have done, HE can mend my heart to use it for HIS glory.
- Where is your heart?
- Are you on a road to foulness because of your heart?
- Can you listen to GOD instead of listening to humans and allow HIM to lead you to a better path?