Thursday, April 4, 2024

Broken Repaired

Broken Repaired

1 John 4: 19 We love because God first loved us. 20 If we say we love God, but hate others, we are liars. For we cannot love God, whom we have not seen, if we do not love others, whom we have seen. 21 The command that Christ has given us is this: whoever loves God must love others also.

 

============

 

Sitting on the couch of my apartment, it hit me that my life was not going so well. With creditors calling, and my car totaled, I wanted to hear a friendly set of words but they were not available.

 

“Why don’t you go to church with us?” someone asked. I went and heard words of love I hadn’t heard in a while. I felt great. Years of success later, a guy would come by my desk to steal ideas. “I hate that guy” I said to myself.

 

  • I had forgotten what GOD did for me when I was broken.
  • In my lowest moments, I needed GOD and HE was faithful to me.
  • I was not faithful to GOD because I harbored hatred in my heart.

 

John addressed hatred. He knew the believers in CHRIST were persecuted by the very group that was supposed to be following GOD. He reminded everyone, that while we were still sinners CHRIST died for us. He then explained that you cannot love GOD and hate people.

 

My Observations:

  • GOD is love and expects me to act like HIM.
  • GOD loved me first and wants me to do the same.
  • GOD wants me to love those who are spiritually blind, selfish, and mean.

 

Without GOD, love cannot exist. I mean, GOD is the one who defined what love is and HE created us in HIS image to love one another. Unfortunately sin entered the world and is a part of us. Humans conjure up a new definition of love, that could include selfish desires that are not aligned to GOD’s.

 

JESUS gave us the example to follow. HE, being GOD, did not think being a servant to those who hated HIM was a problem. Even before HIS death, he healed a guards ear, who came to arrest HIM. JESUS commands something that is a choice. “love those who hate you.” I am glad GOD loved me first, so I choose to follow HIS example, HIS way.

 

Challenge

  • What lie does the writer point out?
  • Has GOD ever brought you out of something?
  • Will you consider examining your heart to see if you harbor any hatred towards someone and ask GOD to cleanse you of this and replace it with HIS love for others today?

No comments:

Post a Comment