Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Unstuck on Titles

Unstuck on Titles

3 John 1:I wrote a short letter to the church; but Diotrephes, who likes to be their leader, will not pay any attention to what I say. 10 When I come, then, I will bring up everything he has done: the terrible things he says about us and the lies he tells! But that is not enough for him; he will not receive the Christians when they come, and even stops those who want to receive them and tries to drive them out of the church!

 

11 My dear friend, do not imitate what is bad, but imitate what is good. Whoever does good belongs to God; whoever does what is bad has not seen God.

 

12 Everyone speaks well of Demetrius; truth itself speaks well of him. And we add our testimony, and you know that what we say is true.

 

============

 

“Do you believe in JESUS?” someone laughingly asked me. “I am the head of the deacons and the chairman of the Trustees” I replied. “Yes, but do you believe in JESUS?” was the follow up question that I could have simply said “Yes” to.

 

  • I was seeking a title in church without knowing it.
  • I wanted to be known for “my” accomplishments.
  • I wanted a resume versus GOD’s kingdom to grow.

 

John addressed church pride. He provided two opposing examples, namely Diotrephes and Demetrius. The first was the example of arrogance while the latter was the example of truth. One liked church titles, power and to be “heard” while the other built a reputation of serving people with the truth.

 

My Observations:

  • Having  a title in church is okay as long as I use the title to help organize who does what.
  • Recognizing JESUS as the only one who is the head of the church, makes me less prone to desire what should be HIS.
  • My motive for serving in church should be based on the truth that JESUS rose from the dead and wants everyone to believe in HIS saving power.

 

Sometimes titles can trip me up. I mean, whether it is corporate or public or church, titles can make me think I am more special than others. If the title gets to my head, then my actions and words begin to leave GOD out and the focus becomes more on “my” title or the brand of the church. BUT GOD wants to be known.

 

HE wants my words to point to HIM constantly. The whole purpose of gathering together in the first place is to recognize JESUS as the Savior while addressing barriers to this belief. We sing, pray and acknowledge JESUS while not turning into the world. I gladly give up titles to be known for speaking GOD’s truth.

 

Challenge

  • Who does the writer warn not to imitate?
  • Have you ever wanted a title or wanted to be recognized as a public figure?
  • Will you point your life to CHRIST whether you have a title or not so HE can draw many people to HIMSELF through you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment