Friday, April 12, 2024

Knowing True Love

Knowing True Love

1 John 5: 18 We know that no children of God keep on sinning, for the Son of God keeps them safe, and the Evil One cannot harm them.

19 We know that we belong to God even though the whole world is under the rule of the Evil One.

20 We know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we know the true God. We live in union with the true God—in union with his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and this is eternal life.

21 My children, keep yourselves safe from false gods!

 

============

 

“I love this suit!” I exclaimed. But when it got too small and frayed, I wanted something else. “I love this car!” I said. But when years passed, the maintenance made me get less and less excited.

 

  • Items I said “I loved” tended to wear out and so did my “love” for the item.
  • When problems developed with the item, my love changed.
  • I worried about losing, tearing or breaking the items and I bragged about them whenever I could.

 

John ends his letter with assurance. He wanted to make sure that believers would be taken care of. He said “We know” so that believers would place the love of GOD in their minds and in their hearts and to turn from seeking “false gods.”

 

My Observations:

  • Any person, place or thing that I worship over GOD will become a false god to me.
  • JESUS loved us and came to give us understanding so that we may know true love.
  • Experiencing true love makes me change my desires for false love.

 

“I don’t want that anymore” is confusing to the world. I mean, when the world presents fame and fortune as a good thing, shouldn’t I join in? Maybe not if those things cause me to stop seeking GOD. Unfortunately, the more fortune I have and the more famous I become, the less “time” I have for GOD. Eventually HE is in none of my decisions until I face problems.

 

GOD wants me to be in union with HIM at all times. This means reducing sin so HE can keep me safe from the Evil One. It also means knowing that I belong to GOD versus HE belonging to me. I am glad HE has given us understanding to live in union with the true GOD.

 

Challenge

  • What false gods is the writer speaking of?
  • Have you ever worshiped someone or something or a title or an action?
  • Will you place loving GOD over all your actions and stuff so you can live in union with the true GOD, who loves you deeply, today?

No comments:

Post a Comment