Friday, April 19, 2024

No Additives Needed

No Additives Needed

2 John 1: Anyone who does not stay with the teaching of Christ, but goes beyond it, does not have God. Whoever does stay with the teaching has both the Father and the Son. 10 So then, if some come to you who do not bring this teaching, do not welcome them in your homes; do not even say, “Peace be with you.” 11 For anyone who wishes them peace becomes their partner in the evil things they do.

 

============

 

Seeing the ink stain on the shirt I asked what I should do. “Soak it in soapy water” was the suggestion. I followed the instructions and noticed the ink was dissipating, but not fast enough. I added some bleach to the mixture to speed things up. The shirt was ruined.

 

  • I thought that by adding something, it would work better.
  • I added something to what was already working.
  • My impatience made me not be able to wait for the solution to work.

 

John gives a stern warning about people who add more to the teaching of CHRIST. He may have heard about people who wanted to sound special, but were making things up about GOD in order to make themselves look “deep.” He makes it plain that the teaching of CHRIST should stand alone without embellishments.

 

My Observations:

  • GOD’s Word is simple, but humans want to make it complicated.
  • JESUS became a human to die for the sins of all humans and was raised from the dead and HE does not need us to embellish on these actions.
  • GOD made me special, so I do not have to twist HIS words to be seen as special.

 

Trying to make the Bible say something that makes “me” special or to manipulate people to get “my” way is dangerous. I mean, when the Bible clearly says one thing, but I add something I am thinking of so people will notice “me” more, I am the one who will be in trouble. BUT GOD has a solution.

 

HE gives me ways to check if what I am saying about HIM is true. HE provided many writers to reveal HIS SON and the great thing HE did for you and me. If my words point more toward “my” actions versus HIS, then they are leaning towards being false. JESUS paid it all. All to HIM I owe. Sin has left a crimson stain. HE washed it white as snow. I am glad JESUS is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

 

Challenge:

  • Why does the writer give this warning?
  • Have you ever thought GOD’s message needed “your” help?
  • Will you accept HIS simple message of “believing in JESUS as your Savior” and “loving one another” today?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment