Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Overcoming Fear

Overcoming Fear

1 John 4: God is love, and those who live in love live in union with God and God lives in union with them. 17 Love is made perfect in us in order that we may have courage on the Judgment Day; and we will have it because our life in this world is the same as Christ's. 18 There is no fear in love; perfect love drives out all fear. So then, love has not been made perfect in anyone who is afraid, because fear has to do with punishment.

 

============

 

Going out to play, I did not notice the door was broken, causing it to slam. “Stop slamming the door please” was the statement given to me that was easy to do. But when I was older and wanted to “sneak” back into the house after being out all night, I carefully placed the key in the door and gently opened it so it would not make any noise. I was met with “Who do you think you are?’

 

  • I did not notice the door when I was doing something that was harmless.
  • I did not even think about the door when I was enjoying myself the way I was expected to.
  • I feared getting caught doing something I was not supposed to be doing, so I feared making noise with the door.

 

John attempted to address the fear of consequence. He started off by explaining that GOD is love. This is an important statement, because many may have focused on GOD dishing out wrath. He explained that by living a life that contains love, courage can increase and fear decrease.

 

My Observations:

  • Satan wants me to live in fear, so he uses temptations that go directly against GOD to keep me wounded.
  • GOD gave me HIS SON as a remedy to my sin, and by believing that I need salvation from GOD’s wrath, I can be saved from it.
  • I no longer have to worry about GOD’s wrath, especially when I follow the leading of the HOLY SPIRIT.

 

Motivated by love reduces my fear. I mean, when I am motivated by something that GOD will object to, I get filled with fear. I try to handle things on my own or side with people who are fumbling through life, just like me. When things still don’t appear to be going well, my fear increases. BUT GOD has a remedy to this fear.

 

Focusing on what the HOLY SPIRIT wants me to do and say, makes me change my words and even change my motive. I may not want to do something, but I will do it, if it pleases GOD. I also may want to do something that GOD does not want me to do. So by listening to the HOLY SPIRIT, I may sigh, and leave whatever that thing is alone. I am glad GOD cares about my fears and replaces them with HIS love.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer explain that “GOD is love?”
  • Have you ever thought that GOD is out to get you because of a known or unknown sin?
  • Will you find the root of your fears and see if you are missing a solid relationship with GOD?
  • Will you also consider overcoming any fear you may have by placing GOD’s love into your solution today?

No comments:

Post a Comment