Friday, December 14, 2018

Excuses



Luke 14: 15 Now when one of those who sat at the table with Him heard these things, he said to Him, “Blessed is he who shall eat bread in the kingdom of God!”

16 Then He said to him, “A certain man gave a great supper and invited many, 17 and sent his servant at supper time to say to those who were invited, ‘Come, for all things are now ready.’ 18 But they all with one accord began to make excuses. The first said to him, ‘I have bought a piece of ground, and I must go and see it. I ask you to have me excused.’ 19 And another said, ‘I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I am going to test them. I ask you to have me excused.’ 20 Still another said, ‘I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.’ 21 So that servant came and reported these things to his master. Then the master of the house, being angry, said to his servant, ‘Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in here the poor and the maimed and the lame and the blind.’ 22 And the servant said, ‘Master, it is done as you commanded, and still there is room.’ 23 Then the master said to the servant, ‘Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. 24 For I say to you that none of those men who were invited shall taste my supper.’ ”

============

“Will you tell people about GOD in a 30 second message?” someone asked me. Afraid of offending my following and for fear of my job, I said “Not this time, I believe someone else should do this.”

  • I remember times when I was too important to speak about GOD.
  • I can recall moments when I could have spoken about GOD, but did not.
  • I reflect on times when GOD wanted me to speak on HIS behalf, but something “I” wanted got in the way.


JESUS seems to be telling a statement rather than a story as HE speaks to the crowd. HE spoke of three people who made excuses for not coming to the “Great Supper.” Possessions, business or jobs and family were the excuses made for not answering the Master’s call. What should I do when GOD calls me?

  • GOD wants me to respond when HE calls me to do something for HIM.
  • GOD calls me to serve HIM daily, all I have to do is listen.
  • GOD wants me to be excited about speaking about HIS SON, especially to those who will hear it.


Age, race, gender, time, health, finances or worry are all great reasons for me not to speak about GOD. I mean I’m only one person right? Kinda. GOD wants me to see I will always have an excuse not to speak about HIM. There will never be a good time for me to talk about HIM. BUT GOD is still worthy to be praised.

HE wants me to see opportunity to speak about HIM on a daily basis. No longer am I ashamed of JESUS and HE is no longer ashamed of me.

  • Are you making excuses for not speaking about GOD?
  • Do you speak about GOD only during times of plenty?
  • Can you stop being ashamed of GOD and speak of HIS grace today?


No comments:

Post a Comment