Monday, September 16, 2019

Subject Matter Expert


John 9: 26 Then they said to him again, “What did He do to you? How did He open your eyes?”
27 He answered them, “I told you already, and you did not listen. Why do you want to hear it again? Do you also want to become His disciples?”

28 Then they reviled him and said, “You are His disciple, but we are Moses’ disciples. 29 We know that God spoke to Moses; as for this fellow, we do not know where He is from.”

30 The man answered and said to them, “Why, this is a marvelous thing, that you do not know where He is from; yet He has opened my eyes! 31 Now we know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does His will, He hears him. 32 Since the world began it has been unheard of that anyone opened the eyes of one who was born blind. 33 If this Man were not from God, He could do nothing.”

34 They answered and said to him, “You were completely born in sins, and are you teaching us?” And they cast him out.

============

Being deemed the subject matter expert was a hidden honor to me. I mean whenever someone had questions, they would come to me for the answers. I felt needed and wanted. One day, someone came up to me with a question that I could not answer. How dare they! “Why were they trying to trip me up?” I thought.

  • There were times when I thought I could “know it all.”
  • There were times when I believed I could be the one who had all the answers.
  • There were times when I felt so great about being the subject matter expert that I would defend my title.


The church leaders kept interrogating the man healed of his blindness by JESUS. They repeated their questions, not seeking the truth but to see if they could catch the man in a lie. The man had enough and asked them, “How could HE heal me, the way HE healed me, if HE were not from GOD? This question stumped them so they threw him out of the community.

  • GOD wants me to know he raises other people for HIS purpose.
  • GOD wants me to accept that I am not the only one who follows HIM.
  • GOD wants me to place HIM as the only one who is superior.


Superiority is a fatal flaw that GOD wants to get rid of. Bragging and boasting about being an “expert” in knowing GOD or HIS word can be a weakness. The Pharisees could not see GOD when HE arrived because of their blindness to their lust for power. They were supposed to be the experts.

JESUS wants me to be able to hear HIM speak even through the youngest child. HIS truth is true from the rich and learned as well as the poor and unlearned. HE can and will use unlikely people to spread HIS word. I am glad HE gives me grace to hear HIM.

  • Do you consider yourself a subject matter expert?
  • Do you give GOD any credit for what you know?
  • Will you allow GOD to open your ears to hear from people who may not be an expert?


No comments:

Post a Comment