Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Wet Paint, Hot Stove

 

Wet Paint, Hot Stove

Romans 7: Once I was alive apart from the law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. 10 I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death. 11 For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death. 12 So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.

 

13 Did that which is good, then, become death to me? By no means! Nevertheless, in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it used what is good to bring about my death, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful.

 

============

 

“Don’t touch that. The paint is wet” were the words that made me want to touch the wall. “Wet cement” seemed like an invitation to write my initials. “Hot stove, do not touch” seemed like a suggestion to try it out. But I obeyed and did not touch or write my initials.

 

But then someone said “Don’t worry.” Wait. Don’t worry about what? Now I couldn’t stop thinking about the thing I wasn’t supposed to worry about. I worried about my worry.

 

Some things that were brought to my awareness made me want to try it.

Some things that I would have never tried, I did because it was put in front of me.

Some things that should have been avoided, I got into because someone told me not to.

 

Paul talks about how sin used what is good to cause death. The Law was made to protect humans, but sin used it to entice people to do the opposite of the Law, thus causing death. Sin is recognized through the Law.

 

GOD wants me to follow HIS ways.

GOD wants me to learn about HIM so I can be protected from the consequences of sin.

GOD wants me to seek HIM daily so I will not pursue sin that fools me into thinking it is better than HIS way.

 

“Do not worry” or “Do not get angry” makes me more worried and very angry. I mean, how am I supposed to not be afraid of the unknown? Fortunately GOD took care of my problems with following the Law. JESUS died for me and was raised from the dead. By believing in HIS saving power I can follow HIS ways when I fall.

 

When I get worried, GOD enables me to see HIS power and promises. After a while, I’m not so worried. When I get angry, GOD shows me a way to have peace and suddenly the anger dissipates. The wet paint and hot stoves become easier for me not to touch when I recognize GOD is trying to protect me. I am glad HE loves me.

 

Have your desires gotten the best of you?

Do you want things that may be opposite of what GOD wants for you?

Will you surrender your life to GOD so HE can guide you to HIS powerful purpose today?

No comments:

Post a Comment