Thursday, February 18, 2021

Knowing and Doing

 

Knowing and Doing

Romans 14: 14 We know that the Law is spiritual; but I am a mortal, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do; for I don't do what I would like to do, but instead I do what I hate. 16 Since what I do is what I don't want to do, this shows that I agree that the Law is right. 17 So I am not really the one who does this thing; rather it is the sin that lives in me. 18 I know that good does not live in me—that is, in my human nature. For even though the desire to do good is in me, I am not able to do it. 19 I don't do the good I want to do; instead, I do the evil that I do not want to do. 20 If I do what I don't want to do, this means that I am no longer the one who does it; instead, it is the sin that lives in me.

 

============

 

“How old are you?’” was the very pointed question to me. Reading between the lines, I sensed the person was trying to point out my lack of experience. “Tell the truth” was the voice inside me. I added four years to my age, placing me in the group that was “experienced” but not “over-experienced.” This lie got me nowhere.

 

  • Many times I know what is right but I do not do it.
  • Many times I know the right way, but something pops up inside me and I go the wrong way.
  • Many times I know how I could be successful, but I follow my instincts and fail.

 

Paul is expressing some serious pain in this passage. He explains that he knows the Law is holy and spiritual. He then explains that he has a desire to follow the Law but winds up breaking it because of the sin inside of him. He’s not the only one.

 

  • GOD knows I have sin living inside me.
  • GOD made my soul so HE is the only one who knows how to cure it.
  • GOD knows how to handle the sins I so easily fall into.

 

All humans sin. As I stated many times before, “We are all in the mud, throwing mud at each other, saying ‘You have mud on you.’” I mean, we are all sinners trying to compare our sins to each other so we can tell other people they are sinners.

 

BUT GOD sees something different. HE sees my sins and loves me so much that HE wanted to save me from my destruction. HE knows I want and desire sin, even though I know the Law. To help me with the war inside me, GOD placed HIS HOLY SPIRIT in me to win the battles and the war. I am glad GOD cares enough about me to guide me back to HIS ways.

 

  • Are you conflicted?
  • Do you know the right thing to do but are afraid to do the right thing?
  • Will you ask GOD for bravery to live for HIM so HE can help you win the war inside you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment