Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Origin of Wanting

 

Origin of Wanting

Romans 7: What shall we say, then? Is the law sinful? Certainly not! Nevertheless, I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.” But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of coveting. For apart from the law, sin was dead.

 

============

 

For a while, the words “Don’t do that” meant something. I stayed away from “that.” But then I heard people who did “that.” They made “that” sound good. In fact, they teased me for not doing “that” The crowd seemed to be doing it, now I wanted to do it. The Bible said “Don’t do it.” No that was all I could think about.

 

  • When I am told what not to do, it seems like that’s all I want to do.
  • When I am told something is forbidden, it seems like I want to know why it is forbidden.
  • When I am told stay away from something pleasurable, it seems like I can only think of that pleasurable thing.

 

Paul continues his explanation of the Law. He says the Law is not sinful, rather it exposes sin. The sin inside each person, then sees what the Law says and wants to do the opposite. BUT GOD had a remedy.

 

  • GOD placed HIS law in my heart so I would know I needed a Savior.
  • GOD allowed HIS SON, who volunteered, to be blamed and murdered for the sins I committed.
  • GOD raised HIS SON from the dead, overcoming any sinful craving I might have.

 

At birth, sin coerces through my veins. I want the things GOD does not want me to have. The more I am told, not to want “that” the more I want it. BUT GOD took a different approach. HE knew I would not want HIM, rather I would want the sin. JESUS, being GOD, died for me.

 

“There… now sin no longer holds you.” Now that I am freed from the consequence of sin, I am grateful. This gratefulness gives me the strength to say “not this time” to the sin. My craving to do what GOD says increases with each “no” I speak to sin. I am glad JESUS mad a way out of my sin.

 

  • Do you want something that you know is not good for you?
  • Are you acting a way you know you should not act?
  • Will you stop beating yourself up and be thankful JESUS has released you from all guilt and shame, so you can receive HIS peace today?

No comments:

Post a Comment