Thursday, June 17, 2021

Have Been Versus Is

Have Been Versus Is

1 Corinthians 5: In the letter that I wrote you I told you not to associate with immoral people. 10 Now I did not mean pagans who are immoral or greedy or are thieves, or who worship idols. To avoid them you would have to get out of the world completely. 11 What I meant was that you should not associate with a person who calls himself a believer but is immoral or greedy or worships idols or is a slanderer or a drunkard or a thief. Don't even sit down to eat with such a person.

 

============

 

Over the course of my life I looked exactly like everyone else. I tried to fit into the world, so I picked up its behaviors. I read this list which included immorality, greed, idol worship, slander, getting drunk and being a thief. Yes, I have been all of the above.

 

  • There have been many times when I have looked just like the world.
  • There have been many times when I just wanted to fit in so I acted like “everyone” else.
  • There have been many times when my own lusts made me choose to act like the world.

 

Paul gives a very strong warning about “someone who calls himself a believer but…” The “But” in his statement is very strong. He implies the person does not really believe JESUS is the only answer but mouths the words of GOD by mentioning HIM on occasion to manipulate people in immoral, greedy, idol worshipping, slanderous, drunken and thieving ways.

 

  • GOD wants me to be able to confess when I sin.
  • GOD wants me to be ready to admit a fallen state in hopes that I can be restored.
  • GOD wants me to use the fruit of the Spirit, especially “self-control” to keep from falling back into the ways GOD dislikes.

 

Restoration can happen to anyone. I mean if I fall to being immoral, greedy, idolater, slanderous, drunk or a thief, I should be removed from leading in any gathering of believers as a leader. Fortunately, GOD wants to use sinners to spread HIS message.

 

If I confess this behavior and truly repent or stay away from old behaviors, then I can be restored and useful to lead people to CHRIST. Yes, GOD takes sin seriously and so should I. I am grateful for the HOLY SPIRIT who pleads on my behalf, who restores me and who leads me daily.

 

  • Are you trying to stay away from people you have judged?
  • Do you think you heart is perfect and other people have imperfect hearts?
  • Will you stop applying this list to other people and examine yourself to see if there is something blocking you from speaking boldly and truthfully about JESUS today?

No comments:

Post a Comment