Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Wanting to Feel Special

Wanting to Feel Special

1 Corinthians 4: For your sake, my friends, I have applied all this to Apollos and me, using the two of us as an example, so that you may learn what the saying means, “Observe the proper rules.” None of you should be proud of one person and despise another. Who made you superior to others? Didn't God give you everything you have? Well, then, how can you boast, as if what you have were not a gift?

 

============

 

Stereotypical nerd scenes in movies remind me of my tryout for the little league baseball team. Yes, I was the nerd and I missed catching the ball by a mile. My reflexes were slow and batting prowess slower. I tried out for other groups and was not the star in any of them. “Why can’t I be special?” I thought to myself.

 

  • There have been many times when I wanted to fit in.
  • There have been many times when I wanted to have a special skill or talent.
  • There have been many times when I followed a person who was talented and ridiculed another for their lack of talent.

 

Paul asks a poignant question “Who made you superior to others?” He then asks “Didn’t GOD give you everything you have?” as if to say all gifts come from GOD. “How can you boast, as if what you have were not a gift?”

 

  • GOD wants me to recognize my gifts and talents come from HIM.
  • GOD wants me to understand that HE raises up other people for HIS purpose.
  • GOD wants me to be excited about the way HE made me and the way HE made other people.

 

Looking down on one person and speaking highly of another is something GOD despises. HE made all people and was excited about each individual when HE did it. HE loves when I recognize where my gifts and talents come from. HE also loves when I praise HIM for the gifts and talents HE gave to others. No one can boast when the origin of all talent comes from GOD. I am grateful HE did make me special.


  • Do you want to feel special?
  • Are you busy trying to be liked by many people?
  • Will you stop chasing the spotlight and thank GOD for the talent you and others have today?

No comments:

Post a Comment