Thursday, June 10, 2021

Edge Dwellers

Edge Dwellers

1 Corinthians 4: Do you already have everything you need? Are you already rich? Have you become kings, even though we are not? Well, I wish you really were kings, so that we could be kings together with you. For it seems to me that God has given the very last place to us apostles, like people condemned to die in public as a spectacle for the whole world of angels and of human beings. 10 For Christ's sake we are fools; but you are wise in union with Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! We are despised, but you are honored! 11 To this very moment we go hungry and thirsty; we are clothed in rags; we are beaten; we wander from place to place; 12 we wear ourselves out with hard work. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure; 13 when we are insulted, we answer back with kind words. We are no more than this world's garbage; we are the scum of the earth to this very moment!

 

============

 

“What is the maximum amount of money I can make and still be pleasing to GOD?” I thought greedily to myself. No one had the answer. From my perspective, some greedy leaders would say, “There is no limit.”

 

Another perspective would be “You have to manufacture a perception of humbleness, but still own a house and a car and subscription entertainment with not too many channels.” Still another would say “You must give up everything and live outside, eating only off the land.”

 

  • There have been many times when I have struggled over my relationship with CHRIST.
  • There have been many times when I wondered if I could test my limits with GOD.
  • There have been many times when I desired to do things “my” way without thought of what GOD wanted.

 

Paul gives some difficult words to live by. As an apostle, he explains that life was very, very hard. His only purpose was to spread the Good News of JESUS. Apostles were poor, despised by church leaders, clothed in rags, beaten, homeless and often exploited by the rich to do hard labor just to eat. But apostles did this for the LORD.

 

  • GOD wants me to stop trying to figure out the maximum greed I can have and simply be led by the HOLY SPIRIT.
  • GOD wants me to stop trying to figure out the maximum amount of hidden sin I can have and simply be led by HIS Word.
  • GOD wants me to stop trying to think about “my” position in heaven and simply praise JESUS for saving me.

 

Comparing myself to others is dangerous. I mean, one rich person who says words that make a lot of people mad may get me thinking he or she is destined for hell. On the other hand a homeless person may be viewed as an addict or a prostitute and cast out or looked down upon. BUT GOD wants me to be different.

 

HE wants me to praise HIM in plenty or in sparse times. Sometimes I am the helper and sometimes I need help. HE wants me to stay away from dwelling on the edge of the things that can draw me away from serving HIM with all my heart. I still fall into the deep, blinding holes of worldly thinking. I am grateful GOD pursues me and raises me out of these holes constantly.

 

  • Are you questioning your relationship with GOD?
  • Are you trying to manipulate GOD by your show or humbleness?
  • Do you think your riches have not made you blind?
  • Will you relax your worries and simply be in union with JESUS today?

No comments:

Post a Comment